Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AndrewDang
Helper IV
Helper IV

PowerBI to understand Date from 3 letter month initial

Hello all;

I am trying to create a target table. On my table, we have a 3 letter initial for the month (period) that contains target qouta for the month.  PowerBI treats this column as text instead of Date. I am wondering what do i need to do to covert this field to date.  I receive an error when I convert it using Power BI.

4-29-2016 3-58-21 PM.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help

Andrew

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I assume you have a year field somewhere, or you can hard code it.  There are probably lots of ways, but the way I would do it is to add a new column in power query, and put in a formula like this

"1-" & [MonthNameColumn] & "-2016"

Then change the data type of the new column to "Date" from the menu and it should work.

Of course flip the month and day portion if you need the US date format

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndrewDang,

After creating a new column suggested by @MattAllington, then you can convert the column to date type in specified date format.

a3.PNGa4.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndrewDang,

After creating a new column suggested by @MattAllington, then you can convert the column to date type in specified date format.

a3.PNGa4.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @MattAllington and @v-qiuyu-msft

I will give it a try today and keep you posted if I run into any issue.

Have a great day.

Andrew

I assume you have a year field somewhere, or you can hard code it.  There are probably lots of ways, but the way I would do it is to add a new column in power query, and put in a formula like this

"1-" & [MonthNameColumn] & "-2016"

Then change the data type of the new column to "Date" from the menu and it should work.

Of course flip the month and day portion if you need the US date format

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.