Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tkleiber
Regular Visitor

PowerBI bubble map - can a bubble show the average of a column?

Hello

I would like to create a bubble map where a user can choose a time period and then sees the average temperature of this period for various places. (as it can be easily done with diagrams in PowerBI)

So far I couldn't manage it. Is there a way to do it?

My datas include the following columns: name of the station, coordinates, date, temperature of the day

Any hint or solution is appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tkleiber 

You can try conditional formatting function to custom the color. For using this function, you can't use legend in this visual.

I build a measure to caluclate the average temperature for each station and build a measure which could be added into the data color (color field).

Measure:

Average of temperature = AVERAGEX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Station Name]=MAX('Table'[Station Name])),'Table'[temperature of the day])
Color = 
IF([Average of temperature]<0,"Blue","Red")

Build a bubble map visual and add color measure into data color.

1.png

Result is as below. It will show bubbles which average >=0 in red and others in blue.

2.png

For more details for conditional formatting you may refer to this blog: Use conditional formatting in tables

You can download the pbix file from this link: File

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tkleiber
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-rzhou-msft 

Thank you very much! Your solution is very helpful! 🙂

Best Regards

Thomas Kleiber

tkleiber
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much @v-rzhou-msft .

But my idea was to show the average temperature with the color code of the station. (For example: all the stations with an average temnperature below 0 degrees have blue colors, all the others red colors.)

But anyway thanks for the reply 🙂

Best regards
Thomas

Hi @tkleiber 

You can try conditional formatting function to custom the color. For using this function, you can't use legend in this visual.

I build a measure to caluclate the average temperature for each station and build a measure which could be added into the data color (color field).

Measure:

Average of temperature = AVERAGEX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Station Name]=MAX('Table'[Station Name])),'Table'[temperature of the day])
Color = 
IF([Average of temperature]<0,"Blue","Red")

Build a bubble map visual and add color measure into data color.

1.png

Result is as below. It will show bubbles which average >=0 in red and others in blue.

2.png

For more details for conditional formatting you may refer to this blog: Use conditional formatting in tables

You can download the pbix file from this link: File

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tkleiber 

I think you may want to show the average temperature of select period for various places.

Due to I don't know values in your data model, I build a sample table to have a test.

Sample Table:

1.png

Build a slicer by Date column and build a map visual as below.

2.png

Add temperature column in Size and use average function.

Now Avg of temperature of Wisconsin is 15+10/ 2 = 12.5

You can download the pbix file from this link: PowerBI bubble map - can a bubble show the average of a column

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.