Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jay_Ad

PowerBI Pro License

Hi, 

We are planning to [purchase PowerBI PRO license for my organization.

The concerns are as follows:

1> We are not using OFFICE 365 service, is it spossible to purchase license for the users? 

2> We have a team of 200 people. Do we need to purchase licenses for everyone? Or only for the developers? Is it possible that the others with free licenses can view the developed Reports and dashboards?

Jayanta

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Just to clarify my statement. Just because a user with a Pro license creates a report/dashboard does not mean users with Free Power BI licenses cannot view the report. Only when the report uses Pro features is a Pro license required to view it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I know that a lot of the administration aspects of Power BI are done in the o365 admin portal.  I'm unaware of how else you manage admin functions regarding PowerBI outside of this tenant, so definitely check to make sure that your org will have the control it requires if it doesn't use o365.  This includes adding giving users licenses from your "bucket" of purchased licenses, as well as controlling privacy and governance settings.

As for question 2, there are multiple considerations.  Take a look at the following:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/

Generally, you are going to want to use pro licenses to realize the full value of Power BI, but if you have some analysts that get an excel/csv report dump every day/week and they just want to be able to connect to that file, they could get by with a free license.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If a report uses Pro features, then a Pro license is required to view it.

For the first question, I believe that there is a way to do that but I may be mistaken, I'm an O365 user and so are all of my customers.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.