Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AcidPAT
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Desktop signin fails

I am going through the PowerBI Embedded walkthrough. I installed PowerBI desktop and attached to a datasource, etc. all is fine.  However, when I try and "SignIn" from BI Desktop, it just fails. No message, no feedback. just nothing.

From Fiddler, I can see that it is returning "X-PowerBI-Error-Info: UserNotLicensed" but I am for sure presenting a valid user and credentials from our Azure Subscription.

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For that purpose, you don't publish it thru power bi desktop. PowerBI desktop will be used to design the report but to include into your web page, you need to use PowerBI Embeded which will use reports designed by PowerBI Desktop.

Be careful, for now, PowerBI Embed support few data sources, here is the link on data source support 

Supported data sources DirectQuery Azure SQL database Azure SQL Data Warehouse

Supported data sources

DirectQuery

• Azure SQL database
  • Azure SQL Data Warehouse

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Did you already signed up for app.powerbi.com?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-self-service-signup-for-power-bi/

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I was following the documentation for Embedded and signup at app.powerbi.com is not one of the steps

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-get-started

Is this required for Embedded??

Let me ask you what you are trying to do? Embedded is used if you want to include power bi reports in your own personal website and i don't think that is what you are trying to do, please let me know if I misunderstood your question?

To publish your reports in app.powerbi.com, you need to create account, sign in your desktop and then publish it. Here is more information:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-how-should-i-share-my-dashboard/

Don't hestitate to reach out if need further help. Cheers!

Actually, embedded IS what I want.  

We will be hosting Power BI in our web pages.

@AcidPAT

As you can see the error message "X-PowerBI-Error-Info: UserNotLicensed", please let your organization administrator check if you are granted with Power BI license in Admin Center. Please see: Administering Power BI in your organization.

Regards,

For that purpose, you don't publish it thru power bi desktop. PowerBI desktop will be used to design the report but to include into your web page, you need to use PowerBI Embeded which will use reports designed by PowerBI Desktop.

Be careful, for now, PowerBI Embed support few data sources, here is the link on data source support 

Supported data sources DirectQuery Azure SQL database Azure SQL Data Warehouse

Supported data sources

DirectQuery

• Azure SQL database
  • Azure SQL Data Warehouse

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.