Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Desktop not opening

Hi,

I was using daily PowerBI for some reports without problems.

But since 3 days ago when I click on the Power BI desktop access it starts but gets stuck in the loading (see picture below).

luis_gs_0-1646991950156.png

I've uninstalled/installed it a few times, change the x32 and x64 version, installed the new gateway but still nothing works.

Also mention, that the online version works without problem.

Any idea how to solve this issue?

Edit: Still not working. When I start PowerBI I can see this in the task manager:

luis_gs_0-1647358599328.png

Best regards,

Luis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your screenshot, we can see in the Task Manager several WebView2 processes starting and multiple WebView2 processes started to open.

I found that there are other users who are facing the same problem, and the issue has been reported to Microsoft's internal team (ICM: 292502976).

There is no definite solution yet, maybe you can try the following walkarounds first to see if it solves the problem.

• Walkaround 1: Disable the antivirus, then add the environment variable: Name: "WEBVIEW2_ADDITIONAL_BROWSER_ARGUMENTS", value:"--disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity". Then open Power BI Desktop.
  • Walkaround 2: Download and install the Edge Canary Build and accept the user agreement. Then add the environment variable Name: "WEBVIEW2_RELEASE_CHANNEL_PREFERENCE" value: "1". And open Power BI Dekstop.

If it fails, please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Thanks for your understating!

Best Regards,
Winniz

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please open it successfully using administrator privileges?
Please refer to this document for troubleshooting, and if it fails, please uninstall PowerBI Desktop, then open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder. How to completely uninstall program, please review this article.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your suggestion!

I uninstalled and tried to clean all remaining files as you suggested. Unfortunately, the problem remains...

It looks like the pc is trying to start the software but then, nothing happens.

luis_gs_0-1647358742154.png

Best regards,

Luis

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your screenshot, we can see in the Task Manager several WebView2 processes starting and multiple WebView2 processes started to open.

I found that there are other users who are facing the same problem, and the issue has been reported to Microsoft's internal team (ICM: 292502976).

There is no definite solution yet, maybe you can try the following walkarounds first to see if it solves the problem.

• Walkaround 1: Disable the antivirus, then add the environment variable: Name: "WEBVIEW2_ADDITIONAL_BROWSER_ARGUMENTS", value:"--disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity". Then open Power BI Desktop.
  • Walkaround 2: Download and install the Edge Canary Build and accept the user agreement. Then add the environment variable Name: "WEBVIEW2_RELEASE_CHANNEL_PREFERENCE" value: "1". And open Power BI Dekstop.

If it fails, please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Thanks for your understating!

Best Regards,
Winniz

Option 2 worked for me.  Hallelujah!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-kkf-msft ,

Do you have any update regarding this issue?

It happended again (I cant no longer open PowerBI). I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, followed same steps as before (walkaround 2), but this time didnt work.

Best regards,

Luis

Hi @Anonymous ,

The product team finally concluded that it was a WebView2 installation issue. Please verify WebView2 is installed on your computer: 

Power BI Desktop Installer Changes & WebView2 

Microsoft Edge WebView2 and Microsoft 365 Apps 

Troubleshoot opening Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards,
Winniz

Hi there.

Had the same issue. The third link did the job. I just went to Apps > Installed Apps, then filtered on WebView2

daXtreme_0-1664893212555.png

and clicked the "..." next to WebView2 (you'll see it in the upper right corner when you hover over the entry) and selected "Modify." Then "Repair." Worked. Didn't even have to reboot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot. I could not try the first approach as it is a work PC. But the second walkaround worked perfectly!

Best regards,

Luis

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you have a collegue that can check if they are experiencing the same issue? 
Have you tried downloading it as an App from MS Store instead (Skaffa Power BI Desktop - Microsoft Store sv-SE)?

Br, 
Johannes

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tex628 

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my organization using PowerBI at the moment.

Yes, I downloaded it also through the MS app store but I got the same negative result.

Best regards,

Luis

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

In that case i would suggest that you create a support ticket if you have a Power Bi Pro licence (Support | Microsoft Power BI). In the meantime i would still check if you can recreate the issue with a colleagues PC, if you can convice someone to install the desktop client! 

Br, 
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.