Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kothariraunak

PowerBI Desktop Security with SharePoint Online lists

Dear all,

I am trying to use Power BI desktop to connect to SharePoint Online lists and create and publish reports to the Power BI service using the desktop app. I have some questions pertaining to security -

1. When I connect to a SharePoint list, I do so using my company Azure ID + MFA and then select list(s) to import to Power BI and create reports. When I do this -

a. Is data persisted to Power BI desktop or is it just fetched over the network as needed?

b. How is any data persisted to Power BI secured at rest?

c. When I restart my machine and launch power BI desktop to again work on the report, will I be asked to authenticate into SharePoint online again? Or will Power BI just work on the local copy of the data?

d. How will PowerBI know if something has changed on the SharePoint list and an update is needed?

e. I am assuming that the data in transit between PowerBI desktop and the PowerBI service is secured, using TLS 1.2 or above? Is that correct?

Could someone with the experience/knowledge on this explain. Thanks.

Regards,

Raunak

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.