Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gpatel1991

PowerBI Desktop Free Account License for Student

How to get free activation code for PowerBI Desktop student account? I got one-year free student account for Tableau Desktop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Power BI desktop is free to download, use, and publish, period. You can publish to your My Workspace all day long with it. From there you can create a public URL and share with the world with no security.

The licensing fee comes when you want to publish to a workspace that is secured by permissions. That is Power BI Pro and is $10/mo. I am not aware of any student program for this. Given that the product is free to download and play with I suspect there is no discounting for the Pro side.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@gpatel1991  You can donwload PBI desktop for free and work and create viz and share it in your collage .

if do the comaparision as you have got 1 year student licence for Tableau but FYI here PBI desktop is already free . no charge but it is only taking charges when you wanted to share with other as well in your school or collage .

then you have to $5 - $10 every month ( for Power bi services usage) .

you are posting here so i am guessing you have work or collage domain as well then you can avail 60 pro trail version as well to learn power bi service and install on premises gateway to refreshed your report .

Kindly refer this Link to understand the licencing part of PBI desktop .

Kudos will be appriciated 😊

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gpatel1991 ,

You don’t even need an account to use Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
edhans
Super User
Super User

Power BI desktop is free to download, use, and publish, period. You can publish to your My Workspace all day long with it. From there you can create a public URL and share with the world with no security.

The licensing fee comes when you want to publish to a workspace that is secured by permissions. That is Power BI Pro and is $10/mo. I am not aware of any student program for this. Given that the product is free to download and play with I suspect there is no discounting for the Pro side.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

What do you mean that free user can shar with no security, I think a free student or work user cannot publish or share reports with anyone. He can just view published reports. Right?

@gpatel1991 please let me know if this answered your question or if you have additional questions. If it did, please mark it as the solution so this thread can be closed. 😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.