Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Waka

Power Pivot Measure to calculate average rate of by profession - All external filters should apply

Hi Team,

Same story, I am new to power pivots and learning DAX,

a) I have the following dataset and I want to compare average price of an individual to compare against the average price of the profession he is in. Currently I have calculated the last column "Avg. by Profession using regular AVERAGEIFS i.e. =AVERAGEIFS([Price],[Profession],[@Profession] I'm not sure how to achieve the same results using calculate columns in DAX

Waka_0-1686366041912.png

b) I want to pull the same average (i.e. professions category average) in a power pivot but without pulling in profession in the rows, columns or filters. The final output should look like this.

Waka_1-1686366506582.png

but I'm struggling with calculating Average by Table1[Profession] Column in the above picture, I have tried using DAX =CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Price]),ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Profession])) but it is not giving the results in the picture, The wrong view is as below:

Waka_2-1686366896526.png

Can you guys please help me? Note: I want external filters to be applied in the measure, I have a large dataset over several years, so I want to be able to put the years in the filter and in that case the category average should only be based on values within that selected year. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Waka 

you can try a column

avg by profession = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[Price]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Profession]))

and create measures

avg price = AVERAGE('Table'[Price])

avg of profession2 = AVERAGe('Table'[avg by profession])

rate vs average = [avg of profession2]-[avg price]

1.PNG

pls see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Waka

Thanks @ryan_mayu , the whole solution worked, only small glitch was that the averages were not changing when I put the year in power pivot filters. I modified "avg by profession" calculation with following formula to include year as well and it worked like a charm.

avg by profession = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[Price]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Profession],'Table'[year]))

I hope it is the correct way to making the values change by year selection in the filter / slicer. 
Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Waka

Thanks @ryan_mayu , the whole solution worked, only small glitch was that the averages were not changing when I put the year in power pivot filters. I modified "avg by profession" calculation with following formula to include year as well and it worked like a charm.

avg by profession = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[Price]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Profession],'Table'[year]))

I hope it is the correct way to making the values change by year selection in the filter / slicer. 
Thanks!

you are welcome

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Waka 

you can try a column

avg by profession = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Table'[Price]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Profession]))

and create measures

avg price = AVERAGE('Table'[Price])

avg of profession2 = AVERAGe('Table'[avg by profession])

rate vs average = [avg of profession2]-[avg price]

1.PNG

pls see the attachment below

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.