Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aruna_ln
Helper III
Helper III

Power Bi premium and power bi pro required?

Hi all,

Now i am starting New client

Now they plan to purchage Power Bi premium.

they asking power Bi preimum and development purpose power bi pro(developer 2 member) required?

we can't develop power bi premium? should be required?

thanks

aruna

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

You still have to buy Power BI Pro license with the Premium service. The only advantage with Power BI premium you can publish apps for Free users to see the Power BI Apps. Also, you can use Power BI Embeded and Power Report Server (On prem) if you want.

When you purchase Power BI Premium this doesn't remove the requirement for purchasing the Power BI Pro licensing per user.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Pro is required. You must purchase for each developer on top of the premium service.

@Aruna_ln,

Power BI Premium is about capacity, you don't need a PRO user to develop (Power BI Desktop is free) you are gonna need a PRO license to distribute your content.

One of the advantages of Premium you can share you content with Power BI Free users.

9 REPLIES 9
ricardocamargos
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Aruna_ln,

Power BI Pro -> license per user;

Power BI Premium -> license per capacity.

When you have Power BI Premium you don't need to buy license per user anymore (it's already in the price), it's just by capacity. All of your users are PRO and you can share your content with free users (outside from your company).

If you don't have Power BI Premium you are gonna share the Power BI with others users/company, if u have it so you have a dedicated service.

Link: Power BI Premium 

Ricardo

Hi Ricaro,

Mean not required Power Bi pro lience becoz..my company purchage power bi premium.

i am developer i can use Power Bi premium.

using power bi premium i can develop power bi reports

thanks

aruna

Anonymous
Not applicable

You still have to buy Power BI Pro license with the Premium service. The only advantage with Power BI premium you can publish apps for Free users to see the Power BI Apps. Also, you can use Power BI Embeded and Power Report Server (On prem) if you want.

When you purchase Power BI Premium this doesn't remove the requirement for purchasing the Power BI Pro licensing per user.

Hope this helps!

Hi richard,

using Power Bi premium we can't create reports and publish and can't publish app?

my question is my company purchaged power bi premium. now they asking power bi pro lience required for development? or u can develop inside power bi premium?

please one sentence now required or not power bi pro

@Aruna_ln,

Power BI Premium is about capacity, you don't need a PRO user to develop (Power BI Desktop is free) you are gonna need a PRO license to distribute your content.

One of the advantages of Premium you can share you content with Power BI Free users.

Hello All,

My objective is to create content in power bi and share it with users outside my org. Hope you can help in answering my question below.

My basic understanding is that:

1. I need at least 1 power bi pro license to share content.

2. If I create my content in power bi premium and share it users (external or internal), then user who consume the content do not need a power bi pro license.

Q1. My org already has Power BI Premium. Can i create a dashboard under "My Workspace" and share it external users? Do I need to create new "app workspace" to consider my content to be on premium capacity?

Q2. The option to create O365 Groups is disabled in my org. So when I click on "Create app workspace" in power bi, I get a pop up message "Upgrade to Power BI Pro". If I purchase a power bi pro license, will I be able to create app workspace? Or do I still need to ask someone else to create a app workspace for my team?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Q1. I would refer you to have someone else more knowledge on this question. But, for what I understand about sharing content I believe you can do direct sharing with you content to specific email addresses outside of your organization from your workspace. This doesn't require Power BI Premium capacity to share content in this manner. My organization doesn't allow sharing outside of our organization.

Q2. My organization has also disabled the ability for creation of the O365 Groups. You must have a Global Admin create the App Workspaces. At least this is the case inside my tenant for how we have configured the settings. Once the App Workspace is created and you are giving access to Edit the members of the workspace you can add members. This is only beneficial if all users have Power BI Pro Licenses. The other Power BI Free license(this must be enabled on your tenant for all users to consume content) members will consume content through the Power BI Published Apps.

Hope this helps!

Thank you @Anonymous for your response..

I think i do have the answers to my own questions after a bit of reading and research 🙂 

- Sharing of content requires a user to have power bi pro license even if you are on power bi premium.

- Creation/Accessing of app work space also requires power bi pro license even if you on power bi premium. Creation on app workspace might be disabled in some orgs.

- Content on My workspace can be accessed without power bi pro license but if you want to share the content, then power bi pro license is requried.

- if your content in on power bi premium then you can share your content (using a pro license) and the consumer can be a free user or power bi pro user.

- if you content is NOT on power bi premium then you can share you content (using a pro license) but the consumer should also have power bi pro license (free users cant access).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Pro is required. You must purchase for each developer on top of the premium service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.