Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lakmoor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI sourcing data from SAP BW Multiprovider/Composite provider

Hi,

Are there any concerns when sourcing data from BEX based on a Multiprovider or a Composite provider in SAP BW 7.4, 7.5 or BW/HANA ? As per the note in the "Power BI and SAP BW" whitepaper in this link: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/whitepapers

recommedation is to avoid them.  Appreciate you sharing your experience and recommendations.  Thank you

Avoid Virtual Providers (MultiProviders or InfoSets) VirtualProviders are similar to structures without persistent storage. They are useful in many scenarios, but can show slower query performance because they represent an additional layer on top of actual data.

5 REPLIES 5
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks Giotto but nope this link as well does not say anything answering my specific question. In fact it points to the same white paper in which I found the statement saying Avoid virtual providers but does not share more details around it.

I guess only users who have hands on experience connecting from Power BI to SAP BW and accessing data via Virtual providers will know about this.

Anyone out there with that experience ?

Hi,

Any further progress?

Best Regards,

Giotto

Thanks, but No Amit, the links do not have any relevance to what I am specifically asking. 

My question is specific to sourcing data from SAP BW Virtual Providers (Multiproviders , Infosets, Composite providers). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.