Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI does not recognize my numeric fields nor does it let me change them

I've read different posts to fix the issue with how to get Power BI to recognize numeric fields but all I get is errors that I cannot change them to whole of decimal fields.  I even modified the fields to numeric in Excel priot to loading the data.  I do not see the "sum" option nor the 'Sum' symbol next to those fields, so I am curious if that is why the total values do not make sense.  The fields that it does recognise are correct.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

As you can see for the field heading the data type of the field is text ('ABC')

To convert it to numeric please do the following steps:

1. Right click on the column --> Replace Values

2. Leave 'Value to find' box empty and in 'Replace With' box add a numeric value that you want (zero for example)

3. Click OK

then

1. Right click on column again

2. Change Type --> Whole number

3. Done

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
eduardomejiadev

Hi Microsoft

I tried the solution provided, but, I have not succeded. Is there any setup I should check for Power BI to recognise it as a number? I am importing an Excel file, where I have the values as number not general, I then replace all the null values with zero and then changed the type to Whole Number.

TIA

Anonymous
Not applicable

just wanted you to know, I was able to replace null and the blanks with 0 and with all th instruction provided I was able to get those fields that had null or blank in the columns to now become numeric columns showing the sum symbol next to the measure.  Tank you both!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Like I said above I thought I had replaced the blanks wih nothing, so now this is what my filter looks like:

surfside1_0-1609365267536.png

What would I enter in the replace "(null)' to 0?

Is there a way to ever just start over in Power BI so that once you go Get Data you can do just that - start over - so it doesn't remember all the previous idiotic things you did?  I'm hoping to get the data correct from the source so there is less manual work to be done within PowerBI.  Maybe somone could recommend a good starter tutorial for a beginner like me?  Appreciate it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

First question - is there an undo?  without reading carefully, I replaced everything with null, and as I look there was nothing in the column.

Next question, so that I can make this as automated as possible, should I be ensuring the field is populated with either 1 or 0 at the source?

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

surfside1_0-1609352895890.png

Apparently I is not even finding my newest file.  I am a bit confused on the process of refreshing data when I do make changes.  Once I load the data the first time and if I replace the original source, I was doing a refresh and noticed it couldn't find it, so I started from the get data again.  Can I start over with loading the data and will it keep my charts in tack?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry it was pointing to an older file, I now havve it pointing to the correct file and it does show it as abc, this is what I see when I do a dropdown:

surfside1_1-1609353563216.png

do I need to change the blanks to something else?  Maybe 0 - zeroes?

@Anonymous 

As you can see for the field heading the data type of the field is text ('ABC')

To convert it to numeric please do the following steps:

1. Right click on the column --> Replace Values

2. Leave 'Value to find' box empty and in 'Replace With' box add a numeric value that you want (zero for example)

3. Click OK

then

1. Right click on column again

2. Change Type --> Whole number

3. Done

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Open the query editor (click on Transform Data) and highlight your column with numbers.  On the Transform tab under Format, try to use Trim and/or Clean on that column before you convert to number.  Also, what is the error message you see?  Can you paste a screen grab of it, if that doesn't work?

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Can you provide some sample data in a copy/paste format to help troubleshoot?  Are there hidden characters in your data?  If so, you can first use Trim and Clean options in power query, and then change the type to number.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for responding so quickly!  The file that I loaded into PowerBI only has 1 or blanks.  I'm new to Power BI so I am unfamiliar with power query.  Can you point me to where I can read and learn how to run that tool within Power BI desktop?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.