Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ramendra
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI and SQL connection requirement

Dear Sir,

Is it Mandatory to have SQL server and Power BI desktop installed on same computer to prepare a Power BI report.

Is it possible to have a SQL server somewhere else in other computer and if we can connect it with Power BI desktop in our computer?
If yes then how?

1 REPLY 1
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @Ramendra ,

What you could do is to connect to the sql on the same computer that has the sql server the sql in on premesis then import data to power bi then you could work on the report on any device you want but you can't refresh the data unless you're on the same pc that has the sql server or you report in in power bi service and you hve the sql connected through a data gateway.

learn more about on-premises data gateway https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.