Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI & Dynamic CRM vs Power BI & MC Azure

I'm using Power BI with MC dynamic CRM online (dynamic 365), my reports have set to be schedule refreshed, some hourly and some daily depend on the dataset.  Beacsue some dataset contain millions of data will take hours to refresh.  

Because our Dynamic CRM are based on MC Azure database,  I'm wonder what's the difference between Power BI connect to Dynamic CRM vs Power BI connect to Azure?   will that be a lot quike? or live? 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

In my opinion, the big difference is that the Azure SQL database supports DirectQuery mode in Power BI, while Dynamic CRM doesn't. DirectQuery lets you build visualizations over very large datasets, where it otherwise would be unfeasible to first import all of the data. You can refer to this article: Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, you can go through the limitation in this article, if your report doesn't hit the limitation, you can consider connecting to Azure SQL database in DirectQuery mode. When it's DirectQuery mode, schedule refresh is disabled. You can see how it refresh from here: Databases in the cloud.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

In my opinion, the big difference is that the Azure SQL database supports DirectQuery mode in Power BI, while Dynamic CRM doesn't. DirectQuery lets you build visualizations over very large datasets, where it otherwise would be unfeasible to first import all of the data. You can refer to this article: Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, you can go through the limitation in this article, if your report doesn't hit the limitation, you can consider connecting to Azure SQL database in DirectQuery mode. When it's DirectQuery mode, schedule refresh is disabled. You can see how it refresh from here: Databases in the cloud.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.