Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Clampazzo
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI Visual takes 30 seconds to load in Desktop, 2 seconds to run in Dax Studio

Can someone explain why my visual in power bi desktop (simple table) takes 30 seconds to load in power bi desktop but when I switch over to dax studio and run it the data returns in 2 seconds?

The measure is a simple countrows measure and one field in a table visual.

Clampazzo_0-1715374353917.pngClampazzo_1-1715374370747.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I figured this out.  The solution for me was a composite model.  I changed several of my dimensions that were giving me problems to import.  And the speed of my visuals increased substantially.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AhmadBakr
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

R u sure ur pc is not overloaded? May be it is a pc processor issue and pbi has nothing to do with it?! Just thinking out loud with you.

Hey, @AhmadBakr , 
Nice thought but I just rebooted and ran it again...  this time a simple query that returns an id from my main fact table (which granted has a lot of rows) took 39 seconds to return in Power BI...

And 2 seconds in Dax Studio.

ON top of that!

In Databricks the compute that ran the query ran in:  7 seconds...

Although it looks like the DAX query to Databricks was 2 seconds... 

But still... 7 vs 39?!?!?

@Clampazzo 

Interesting! Is the 2 secs in DAX Studio total time, or just the query time? Is this the stand alone DAX studio or the one integrated recently with pbi desktop? would you try the integrated one?

I would not rush by advising to reinstall pbi (although what you are telling is tempting to advise this) but if you have another pc can you try it on that one if it is easy to do so? again still shooting in the dark, but your problem really got my attention! I am thinking either the pc or pbi desktop is having an issue.

Good luck.

Well I'm glad you find this interesting!  Because this has been giving me a headache today!  I also submitted a help desk ticket with Microsoft. I don't have another laptop to try this on.  And I bet my coworkers have signed off for the weekend.

So here you go let me know what else I should look at.  
Dax Studio:

Clampazzo_0-1715378204818.png

Power BI DAX:

Clampazzo_1-1715378231806.png

And Power BI Query:

Clampazzo_2-1715378262243.png

I figured this out.  The solution for me was a composite model.  I changed several of my dimensions that were giving me problems to import.  And the speed of my visuals increased substantially.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors