Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Colin_1994

Power BI - Trending Data

Hi,

Little disclaimer, I'm very new to Power BI and not sure if it is the best way to solve our 'issue'.

Within my organisation we have a system producing the exact same CSV file, with updated data over a set schedule. It basically produces a duplicate file, with just new measurements. The system automatically uploads these files into a Sharepoint folder.

Currently, we have to manually extract the information and put it into another excel file to perform trend analysis.

I am able to connect Power BI to the Sharepoint folder, however is it possible for Power BI to automatically refresh either on a set schedule or when a new file is loaded into the folder, as well as retain the old measurements to allow for trend analysis?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Colin_1994,

You can refer to the following link to get data from the file that stored in SharePoint, it should use one drive refresh after you publish to power bi service side: (refresh hourly and replace source file operation should trigger the refresh)

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop 

Data refresh in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RickOShay
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

This is an old post marked with a solution, but there really is no solution. Someone mentioned that it can be done, but did not provide any information on how. Does anyone have any information on how to achieve retaining each refresh so we can look at trends?

Thanks,

Colin_1994

Thanks both for the help, I will give this a go and get back to you on the results! 

Thanks,

Colin

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Colin_1994,

You can refer to the following link to get data from the file that stored in SharePoint, it should use one drive refresh after you publish to power bi service side: (refresh hourly and replace source file operation should trigger the refresh)

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop 

Data refresh in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Yes.  Both are possible.  You can use the SharePoint Folder connector with the Combine & Edit feature to combine all the CSV files.  You can also set up a Flow with Power Automate to trigger a dataset refresh whenever a file is added or modified in that folder.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors