Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tazzbh

Power BI Storage: Need Advice on Efficiently Linking Tables and Minimizing Data Duplication

I'm currently facing a storage optimization challenge in Power BI and I'm seeking your advice on how to efficiently link two tables while minimizing data duplication. Here's a brief overview of my situation:

I have two tables in Power BI: Fact Table 1 and Table 2.

Fact Table 1 contains columns X, Y, Z, and X_Y_Z, which is the concatenation of X, Y, and Z and others columns:

...XYZX_Y_Z...

Table 2, on the other hand, has columns X, X_Y_Z and others columns:

...XX_Y_Z...

From a business point of view, I need to link fact table 1 and table 2 using using the combination that X Y Z generates. However, I also need to use columns X, Y, and Z separately to relate to other tables. Consequently, I find myself duplicating information and utilizing more storage for the same data.

As a result, my dataset is nearing its storage limit of 1GB, and I'm eager to optimize it as much as possible. Upon analyzing my model using tools like DAX Studio and vertipaq analyzer, I discovered that the X_Y_Z column alone occupies nearly half of my table's storage capacity.

Therefore, I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to approach this situation. How can I link Fact Table 1 to Table 2 using the combination of X, Y, and Z, while still enabling separate links with other columns? I'm open to suggestions and best practices to efficiently manage my storage space.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.