Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TerryRemsik
Regular Visitor

Power BI Rest API always returns 401 unauthorized

hi .. this is my first post and i didnt see any issue simliar to mine.. so here it goes

I was hoping i could get some help with an issue we having which may have started after a PBI client upgrade.
Current version is the May 2022 PBI Client.  We use STS for client auth and PBI uses Windows Auth.  Sharepoint is 2019  Nov CU (16.0.10392.20000).

We have reports written in an (ccoincidentally?) older version of PBI client and those older reports all (via the IIS logs) hit SharePoint via the /_vti_bin/client.svc (oData) (everyone one of them return a 200) but seemingly since the upgrade any new or edited reports then start pointing to /sitename/listname/_api/web/Lists(guid'000') (REST). Those using the rest end points all fail with a 401.  in doing so it generates a lot of IIS logging with no headers at all. Just the returned "401 text/plain;+charset=uft-8". 

If someone could please give me a pointer, gotchas, hint, or things to check or any possible culprit, or even any indication of know differences in PBI in the end point usage between versions.  I'd greatly appreciate it. 

i am not sure what other info you may need. Ill try to answer any and all questions.  and thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @TerryRemsik,

It seems like you are working with old version power bi desktop, it may have some difference with the last version. What type of power bi desktop are you used? The common power bi desktop or report server optimized version? Can you please share some more detail information about these?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.