Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

djanszentql
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Push Datasets - Can you use measures?

Can you use measures in a Power BI dashboard that utilizes a push dataset?  The docs from microsoft make it sound like you can do this from the API as it is not available in the service when building the underlying report, but I am not sure where the documentation is for that and also if that is only for reports that have a streaming dataset in the model (i.e. not a dashboard).

djanszentql_0-1619108812668.png

2 REPLIES 2
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @djanszentql ,

if it's just about the measure you don't need the REST API.

You can just create measures in Power BI Service or if you connect your Power BI Desktop to the Live data set. This measure you can of course use in Dashboards. I did it many times.

From my understanding the article you quoted mainly to create a data model with the API in a live data set. But I'm not aware that you can do that. Will investigate that further 😉 

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

I am not sure I understand.  I create my dataset in the service and specify it as a push dataset with historical data.  I then create a report from that dataset in the service and create my visuals, which I then pin to my dashboard.  In the report I created, there is no option for adding measures anywhere on the UI that I can see.  Do I have to create a new desktop report, connect my report to that push dataset/historical data, create the measures, publish the report, and then pin it to my dashboard?  i.e. do I have to use PBI desktop instead of creating the report in the service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.