Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Paginated reports data source

Hi all,

I am working on integrating power bi and SSRS. I have a bunch of SSRS reports created using the dataset created passing query to SQL server. 

This report is working perfectly fine and I have published it in power bi services to be used in paginated report visual inside my power bi report.

My issue is since the published report is being created using the direct query to the database there is no dataset that is published on the PBI server.

Now how I can create my power bi report and embed the paginated report in the PBI file. I tried connecting my PBI file to a tabular model which contains the same data as there in the paginated report but it is from the tabular model not from the database.

While I am passing the parameter from the PBI report to the paginated report I am receiving an error that I am passing an incorrect parameter.

Can anyone please guide me on how to go ahead?

2 REPLIES 2
jaideepnema
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

There are several points regarding your query.Is creating a paginated report required in Power BI ?

• If yes then as you have suggested you can use a Power Shared Dataset or Tabular model to be used a datasource for your paginated report. And in the final Power BI report you can use the same paginated report as per my understanding in the visual or link it using URL(using buttons).
  • If no i would suggest you can use dynamic m query parameters also in your report. Here is the link:
    Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Please accept this as a solution if your question has been answered !!

Appreciate a Kudos 😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jaideepnema ,

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I need a paginated report is that my user wants all reports to be extracted in excel along with graphs. But I am facing lots of performance issues while creating reports using tabular models in SSRS.

So we have decided to create SSRS reports directly from data marts and use PBI to embed those reports. As PBI offers better control over the subscription and it's easy to manage filters also.

I cannot use dynamic parameter queries as I am using SQL as a data source. SQL is not supported as a dynamic query.

I will try and create a dataset with my connection to SQL and I will use that to create my paginated repotrs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.