Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LCipriano
Regular Visitor

Power BI Goals in a Dashboard

Hello all! I come here in hopes that you can help me 

I'm working on a Dashboard in Power BI Desktop, with data from Goals, so it's Live. But, I also need to add another dataset with more data to explore and cross with the Goals data. But it seems to be impossible, everytime I try to add this other dataset, which is a simple Excel spreadsheet in a sharepoint, the system says there's no way to do it. 

And I can't download the .pbix file from Goals so I can't analyze it elsewhere 😞 does anyone have a recommendation of what to do? I really want to work with both datasets to create a single functional Dashboard.

P.S: On top of that, even the Goals dataset appears blank, I know it's a bug and til now I couldn't fix.

3 REPLIES 3
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LCipriano ,

Power BI desktop support connect dataset from power bi service.

First, go files -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Preview features and select the checkbox of DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS as the following show. Restart the desktop.

vchenwuzmsft_0-1634895266176.png

Second, get date from power bi datasets.it will be the live connection mode to connect the dataset.

vchenwuzmsft_1-1634895266178.png

Select the dataset from the workspace which contains Goals datasets.

vchenwuzmsft_2-1634895266182.png

After that, in the bottom right corner of the window it will show something and click the blue words.

vchenwuzmsft_3-1634895266182.png

And selecting the button displays a dialog confirming addition of a local model. Under this condition, it allows you to add another data source to get data.

This article display the progress in detail you can refer to it.

Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chenwuz-msft thank you for the detailed reply!

The DirectQuery Add model steps were successfully done and I could import Goals dataset.

But still, when I try to add the Excel workbook to Power BI Desktop, the following error appears:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'NavigatorBase_5b745819-fcbc-41c5-8d9a-92c089f46e35' Key being added: 'NavigatorBase_5b745819-fcbc-41c5-8d9a-92c089f46e35'

Hi @LCipriano ,

it seems that the excel workbook already exists in the model, please check it if it is necessary to be added to the model. if adding other excel workbook work? you can rename the excel workbook.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.