Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Michaeldias
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI External Incremental Refresh Option

Hello all,

I'm setting up incremental refresh for the first time and need some advice.

Having read the online documentation I can't see my use-case.

We've enabled incremental refreshes as the original data is from an external vendor that we do not have good access to.

This incrementally refreshes about 1 million records of the last 3 months of data on an hourly basis. On weekends it does a full refresh of 20million records.

In Power BI I'd like to incrementally refresh the last 3 months of data but also target everything on the weekend.

Ideally this would not require changing parameters or settings within Power BI.

Any pointers?

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Michaeldias 

After applying incremental refresh, only data for the period specified in the refresh policy setting is refreshed. In this case, to refresh all the data again, you need to turn off incremental refresh, manual refresh, or scheduled refresh. Then, to refresh incrementally again, you need to reconfigure and publish.

For reference:

Configure incremental refresh and real-time data for Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Full refresh + Incremental refresh of dataflows - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for this.
I know this is an option but I wanted to leave incremental refresh on permanently.

For example if the date column is an updated date I was thinking it would capture external incremental changes only and on the weekend it would see everything as the date would have changed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.