Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Power BI Desktop resolution bug (laptop vs docking station)

Hi there,

We have quite a lot of users who are experiencing a bug in Power BI Desktop related to moving their laptop in and out of the docking station (changing resolution). 

Basically the bug is that Power BI Desktop enables some sort of "window zoom overlay" that looks like a small copy of the report window that sticks to the cursor and follows the cursor around and pops up whenever it's hovered over a graph making it virtually impossible for the user to see whats going on in their .PBIX file.

We have found out that if we change the PC resolution to something else (typically a lower resolution) the annoying overlay window dissapears. This has to be done each time the bug appears.

I think it has something to do with resolution since moving the laptop in and out of the docking station will change the resolution.

The weird part though is that the bug appears even if Power BI was not open when the laptop was actually removed from the dock. Meaning a user could start his day working from his desk, then remove the laptop from the dock after lunch and go to a work meeting and when he gets to the meeting launch Power BI Desktop and _then_ see the annoying bug making it impossible to get any work done. 

Anyone else experience this behaviour?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,
I noticed this same issue when I was switching between screens (MacBook pro, iMac, windows surface laptop) via remote desktop. To solve this issue, I had to reboot the PC and keep using whatever initial screen I used to remote-in the first time. Not ideal, but it works. Just be careful when you reboot not to turn off the computer by mistake if you not near that machine.
Cheers

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Mardin,

What is the resolution after you move laptop in docking station?  And what is the original resolution in the laptop? Could you please post screenshot about Power BI Desktop in this case?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sure! I just realised I am able to replicate the issue simply by raising and lowering the resolution on my Laptop.

Typical resolution on Laptop is 1600x900 (probably coming from the fixed desk screen's native resolution) and here we see no issue in picture below:

Resolution 1600x900.png

If I then remove laptop from the docking station and raise the resolution to the laptop's native resolution (1920x1080) then the bug appears. At first glance everything seems fine (as long as I keep my cursor still and away from any elements in the report):

1080p No cursor hover.png

Notice what happens if I then hover the cursor over one of the visuals:

1080p Cursor hover 2.png

And if I hover cursor over the menus to the right everything gets zoomed/scrabled too:

1080p Cursor hover 1.png 

The same thing happens in the Data Table view in Power BI, and there it looks like haft of the screen is zoomed in.

I am personally able to fix it by simply lowering the resolution back to 1600x900, but many colleagues either do no know about such fix or are simply scared of touching any "admin" settings on the computer 🙂

Above only happens in Power BI Desktop and no other Office applications or any other applications in general. We've seen it since Power BI Desktop January or February I think, but I only just now decided to ask about it since I figured it would have been fixed by now.

@Mardin,

There are some issues to use Power BI Desktop in different resolutions, I would recommend you vote the following ideas.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas?query=Power%20BI%20%20high%20resolution
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas?query=dpi

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Using Power BI Desktop in 1920x1080 resolution (which is a pretty standard resolution these days) shouldn't be considered a "feature" that should be upvoted through the Ideas Forum.

I am not talking about high DPI monitors or anything. It is clealy a basic bug in the software that switching from 1600x900 to 1920x1080 will cause the UI to act up.

Your post is very great it is very helpful for me and my team with this post I learn much more this and new new tips. We are tack help with hp computer support team.

Your post is very great it is very helpful for me and my team with this post I learn much more this and new new tips. We are tack help with hp computer support team.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.