Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FredTheFrog
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop is extremely greedy with Oracle sessions

Our organization has a very strict limit of ten (10) SESSIONS_PER_USER on the Oracle 12c databases against which I am developing reports using  DirectQuery mode.  With as few as four or five separate queries, Power BI Desktop will cause Oracle errors because it is attempting to open new sessions instead of re-using existing sessions.  This is unacceptable behavior, especially because it requires more of my work time every day as reports become more complex. Smiley Frustrated

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @FredTheFrog,

For your situation, the best way is expanding the limit for sessions_per_user.

For another way, I'm not sure if that will work but you could have a try.

You could load your table for one time and then create the blank query to reference the other tables in Query Editor.

In addition, you could refer to this similar thread.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the original post, the SESSIONS_PER_USER value is considered a very strict limit and is not eligible to be changed.

chass
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

For optimization, performance and usability reasons we do not constrain sessions to back end systems. 

If you wanted the team to consider adding your vote to this idea: 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32551396-option-to-disable-parall...

That said with only ~3 votes the team is unlikely to get to it any time soon. 

Thanks

Chuck Sterling

Thank you for this response.  My concern is, Power BI seems to open new database sessions when a refresh is requested, instead of closing and/or re-using existing sessions.  This is very frustrating behavior.  

I also see other users have similar concerns. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-many-connections-does-power-bi-open-up-for-loading-data...

FredTheFrog
Advocate I
Advocate I

If anyone has any suggestions to minimize or eliminate this issue, I would appreciate a post from you. Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.