Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sashaxp
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop doesn't load all the data from Dataflow

Started to realize that not all data exist in some of my reports and after investigation It turns out that while data exist in dataflow (checked by filtering out data that missing in reports), it doesn't loaded into Power BI desktop after refreshing corresponding table. Looks like this problem started to happen recently as missing data is data that is recently added. What makes me really frustrated is that this happened silently, no errors, nothing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So it turns out that clearing up datasource credentials and then authenticating again fixed an issue however we do not understand why it is happened, and also why there is no errors comes up. Trying to identify root cause with msft support. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sashaxp indeed it is, never seen this. I do a lot of work for my customers where dataflow is used extensively and never seen this. Basically, the refresh is not writing the data to the destination, completely strange. If I were you, I would open a ticket to figure out what is going on while moving forward with using the duplicate table. 

👉 Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - @PowerBIHowTo

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Opened the ticked. Will post back as soon as we find out what was the root cause of that behavior.

So it turns out that clearing up datasource credentials and then authenticating again fixed an issue however we do not understand why it is happened, and also why there is no errors comes up. Trying to identify root cause with msft support. 

Hello,
It happened to us yesterday, do you mean clearing credentials in power bi desktop?

sashaxp
Advocate I
Advocate I

Absolutely strange behavior, no errors and no power query is empty on power bi desktop side except getting data from dataflow. To investigate situation further I've duplicated table in the dataflow that has missing data after loading into power bi desktop. Added this duplicated table into power bi desktop, no problem, no data missed. While refreshing original table in desktop do not lead to the same result.  

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sashaxp This is strange, refresh is successful, with no error, correct? I assume there is no filter in Power Query when you are pulling the data. Trying to look into potential issues.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

vaibhavkale570
Resolver III
Resolver III

I understand your frustration. Silent data issues in Power BI can be challenging to identify and resolve. There could be several reasons why the data is not loading into Power BI Desktop after refreshing the corresponding table. Here are some potential causes and troubleshooting steps:

1. Data Source Configuration: Double-check the data source configuration in Power BI Desktop to ensure it is pointing to the correct location and credentials are up-to-date.

2. Query Editor Steps: Verify the applied transformations in the Query Editor to ensure that data filtering or manipulation is not inadvertently excluding the missing data.

3. Refresh Errors: Although you mentioned there were no errors, it's still worth checking the refresh history and logs to see if there were any issues or warnings during the refresh process.

4. Data Model Relationships: Make sure the relationships between tables are correctly defined. If there are issues with the relationships, data might not appear as expected.

5. Data Load Settings: Check the data load settings in Power BI Desktop to see if there are any filters or restrictions that might be causing the data not to load.

6. Column Data Types: Ensure that the data types of the columns in your data source match the data types in the Power BI data model. Mismatched data types can cause data not to load correctly.

7. Partitioning: If you're using data partitioning in your dataflow, check if the partitions are set up correctly and if the missing data falls within the specified partition range.

8. Dataflow Refresh: Verify if the dataflow itself is refreshing successfully. It's possible that the data is present in the dataflow, but the dataflow itself is not updating.

9. Cache and Query Folding: Power BI might be using cached data or applying query folding, which could lead to incomplete data. Try clearing the cache and disabling query folding to see if that resolves the issue.

10. Power Query Formula Errors: Review the Power Query formulas in your dataflow to ensure there are no errors or issues that might be causing the data not to load properly.

11. Date and Timezone Considerations: Check if there are any date or timezone-related issues that might be affecting the data filtering or loading process.

12. Power BI Version: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop to take advantage of any bug fixes or improvements.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sashaxp if you filtered the data in dataflow and see it there that doesn't mean data is available for Power BI. Make sure you refresh the dataflow and then check in the Power BI desktop.

This dataflow refreshes daily and data that is missed should be there for couple of weeks for sure. Anyway proactively refreshed dataflow, then refreshed in Power BI Desktop, still missing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.