Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cubist
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Desktop Publish Button Disabled - Possible regression bug

Posting this as a new thread to avoid any confusion, as I just realized the old thread was marked solved.

The Power BI Publish button is greyed out in the desktop app.  I've duplicated this on two different systems with two of our accounts.

One test was done by downloading normally the latest desktop version from powerbi.microsoft.com.  The test on the other machine was done by installing via the Windows 10 store app and allowing it to receive updates.  Same result both systems.  

No problem logging into either the desktop app, or the online service, it's just that the Publish button is disabled in the desktop app.

PBI Desktop Version: 2.57.5068.721 64-bit (April 2018)

Windows 10 Version: 10.0.16299.402

Wth? I'm missing something obvious?

4 REPLIES 4
sonofsmog

I had this question and I will answer it for whoever else comes along. If you create and publish a pbix to another source, say an on premises Power BI Report Server, and then open it from there you will not be able to Publish it to the Power BI service. You will need to save it as a local pbix file and reopen it. After that the publish button will be available again. It would be nice is Microsoft mentioned this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't have any data in the report, it will be grayed out. I had this happen when I just wanted to publish a simple mock report. Simply added a custom table in the query editor and then I could publish.

I'm facing the same issue. There was only one report in the workspace before. Now I published another one and want to exclude the first report from the app and include the second one without deleting anything from the app. But all the buttons are disabled. I'm the admin of the app.

Arpita_Datta_0-1662976705536.png

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Cubist,

Can you share some snapshots and a pbix file? It seems good.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.