Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

thilokg
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop - IMPORT data limitation

When I use Power BI Import (Connect to SQL Server and select Import) to get data to Power BI Desktop, is there a data volume limitation? 

I know for DirectQuery there is no data volume limitation. What about Import? Is it 1GB?

Thanks

Thilok

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @thilokg,

There is no volume limitation for a load for either DirectQuery or Import. DirectQuery has a limit of rows behind each visual - 1 mln, but Import has no such limit. You have a limit for Import mode - memory usage limited to your computer resources (RAM). So if you have 8 GB of RAM and your report consumes 9 GB then it will fail. You can check usage via Windows Task Manager -> Resource Monitor (https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-use-resource-monitor-windows-7)

Regards,

Ruslan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @thilokg,

There is no volume limitation for a load for either DirectQuery or Import. DirectQuery has a limit of rows behind each visual - 1 mln, but Import has no such limit. You have a limit for Import mode - memory usage limited to your computer resources (RAM). So if you have 8 GB of RAM and your report consumes 9 GB then it will fail. You can check usage via Windows Task Manager -> Resource Monitor (https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-use-resource-monitor-windows-7)

Regards,

Ruslan

First of all, thanks for the quick response.

What do you mean by 'Import mode'? Its the same 'Import' I mentioned, right?

What I mean is the option next to DirectQuery (when you try to get data from a SQL Server)

@thilokg,

Yes. Import mode is Import (next option to DirectQuery).

Regards,

Ruslan

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.