Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kushalt1996
Frequent Visitor

Populate first value with the expanded column's value and rest with 0/null on merge query

I have two tables 

Table A - Has Product information (Product, Sub-Product Count)

Table B - Actually it's a sales table with (Sales Date, Brand/Product)

Requirement - I want third column on merge. But I only want to have third column to have values (no. of sub-product) to be populated for only first matching Product/Brand and rest to be '0' or null for the same Brand/Product.

The merge operation is applied based on 'Left Join' on column 'Brand' : Table B -> Table A 

values required.png

1 REPLY 1
NaveenGandhi
Super User
Super User

Hello @kushalt1996 

I have a solution that involves PQ and DAX. Please follow the below.

Sep 1:

Add index to your table - b  And create a custom column by using [Brand]&Text.From([Index]).NaveenGandhi_0-1685376464368.png

Step 2:

Merge Table-b with table - a and pull the Min of index from Table - b. Again create a custom column like above.NaveenGandhi_3-1685376590030.png

Step 3:
Close and Apply and use a lookup to pull the Sub Product count.

No of Sub Product = LOOKUPVALUE('Table- A'[Sub-Product count],'Table- A'[Custom],'Table - B'[Custom])
NaveenGandhi_4-1685376787241.png

Please let me know this solution is good with you and if you have any questions.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.