Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

Polygon map

Hi,

I have the polygon cordinates (Longitude, latitude) for a location ,shape area , shape length columns. How should i plot those in power bi similar to polygon map. Below is the sample data i have. Please help me.

susheel1347_0-1598464110523.png

Thanks

Susheel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Seems like Shape Map to me. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-shape-map

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

next to the shape map, already recommended by @Greg_Deckler and @amitchandak , I want to direct your attention to the awesome icon-map created by James Dales. The most current release of this visual is available from it's own site: http://icon-map.com/

At the current moment, this custom visual is the only one that can viusalize polygons created from point. New Power Query functions introduced with the most recent Power BI Desktop release (August 2020) might also be helpful. These functions are already inspired Chris Webb to write two blogs posts

Creating a multipoint polygon from your data might become a little difficult as the points have to be ordered. From a first glance at your data I'm not sure if a sequence can be derived easily.

Nevertheless, from my personal experience the Icon-map custom visual is able to solve almost every spatial data visualization task.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Seems like Shape Map to me. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-shape-map

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler @amitchandak  

Thanks for the responses. I have a geojson source file which i imported to power BI & it has the above columns. I tried to map the columns in shape map but I could not do that. I am getting only location, legend, color staturation options in shape map.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.