cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric is Generally Available. Browse Fabric Presentations. Work towards your Fabric certification with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

varunjain
Microsoft
Microsoft

Please share your thoughts on the new in-place dataset sharing for Power BI datasets (preview)

Hit Reply and let us know what you think of the cross tenant in-place dataset sharing for Power BI datasets. To learn more about this feature, please visit this blogpost or our documentation.

Here are some areas that we'd like to hear about in particular:

• Ease of use
  • Performance
  • Documentation
  • Authoring experience in Desktop
  • Governance and admin controls

Thanks - we look forward to hearing your feedback!

-Power BI B2B Team

49 REPLIES 49
GabrielSantos
Resolver I
Resolver I

I am exploring this functionality from two perspectives:

• A consumer (guest user) can connect to a dataset hosted in a provider tenant, author reports, and publish back to the provider tenant. This has worked successfully so far, despite limitations that are written about here (direct publishing from Power BI desktop to Power BI service, guest users can't connect to dataset in the Power BI service in desktop application). Pleasantly surprised this works and I hope it continues to work.
  • A consumer (guest user) can connect to a dataset hosted in a provider tenant from within the consumer tenant, author reports, and publish back to the consumer tenant. Sounds like what this is trying to do. This is where I'm encountering issues. I'm able to, as a consumer, connect to a provider dataset in Power BI desktop, author a report, and publish to the consumer tenant. However, I receive this message when trying to view the report in the service:
    • GabrielSantos_0-1692908999498.png

I haven't been able to find a resolution yet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Hi Gabriel,

This sounds like a limitation from the preview where there is a MultiFactor mismatch between one of the tenants (documented as part of the MFA requirements https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-dataset-external-org-share-abou...) .

I'd suspect in this case the guest tenant might not require multi-factor for this user, but the provider tenant does.

Thank you @gboreki ! Do you know if there are any plans to remove that limitation in general release? Ideally we can retain MFA at the provider level regardless of the consumer policies.

It also seems like this is leading us towards guest accounts being able to publish in provider and/or consumer tenant, based on needs. This would be incredibly valuable to someone like us, an ISV who has client report authors. Ideally, we'd like to issue them a guest account so they can author reports  in Power BI desktop and publish back to the provider tenant. However, since there were previous limitations about guest users connecting to a provider dataset in Power BI desktop, we've been issuing users within the provider AD, which has grown quite cumbersome to manage.

iBusinessBI
Advocate V
Advocate V

Great feature!
I can only see the dataset shared with me externally in the Service only (under "From external orgs" tab).

But I do not see it in my Desktop. I do have a guest user in their AD and also have a build permission.
I do have all the preview features turned on in the Desktop.
I am able to build a report based on this Dataset in my Service, but not in the Desktop. (The option to download the report from the Service is disabled).
Please help.

Cquatre01
Frequent Visitor

Hey,
First of all thank you very much for this functionality which will enormously simplify the life of the companies which work with subsidiaries.
In my case I test this functionality with several of my subsidiaries, I have a strange behavior. After a while there is a connection problem that appears on the datasets share, if I delete the dataset and send again it to the service it works.
The error message my users are getting is:

"Stack Trace Message:

An error occurred while loading the model. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source."

I don't understand why this message appears after a while and not immediately
I have the full error message if needed

Cquatre01, where do you get this error : In Service or in Desktop? What are you trying to do when you get this error?

Hi tanks for your message, my users have this error in the desktop when they want to display the list of external dataset :

Cquatre01_0-1680535574247.png

FloridaMan55051
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm no longer getting an authentication error. I can see the datasets in Power BI Service, but they are not there in Power BI Desktop. I cannot build a composite model with the datasets unavailable in desktop. What am I missing?

@FloridaMan55051 @ParulBansal 
Same here. I do see the Extrernal Dataset in the Service but not in the Desktop.
Did you manage to fix this?

No - I have not been able to fix.

Here it says: "Guest users can't use Analyze in Excel"

Maybe this change can allow this useful feature for external users also?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#considerations-and-...
Thanks!

When you say you can see datasets in Power BI service, do you mean you can see it on home page in "From external orgs tab"? 

If yes, do you see "external datasets" tab in Desktop? 

no, there is nothing in the external tab in the datahub in desktop.

FloridaMan55051_0-1680053686795.png

Thank you FloridaMan55051. If you see "external data" tab in desktop and if you see shared dataset in PBI service (in "from xternal orgs" tab) then it means you are doing all the right things from your end as consumer.

Could you please review these sections to ensure:

1) External sharing is turned for the dataset shared with you https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-dataset-external-org-share-prov...

2) All the required tenant settings in consumer tenant are enabled: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-dataset-external-org-share-abou...

3) You have atleast "build" access to this dataset. Just read access will not allow you to access these in your desktop

4) Dataset shared does not fall under any limitation mentioned here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-dataset-external-org-share-abou...

Parul, to my knowledge, I have checked off all those settings. I would love a teams session with you where I can show you that the settings are enabled.

@FloridaMan55051 @ParulBansal  
Ok, I got this to work. In the hosting Power BI Admin portal, just turn on this setting:

Guest users can work with shared datasets in their own tenantsThat's it. Now I can see it in the guest Desktop.
Enjoy!

that was it! thank you @iBusinessBI ! I may have missed that in the documentation or it wasn't there. 

Enjoy!

RevMel
Regular Visitor

This looks like what we need to provide Consultant access to our Datasets. Is this available On-premises. Where would I find the installation and configuration steps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI November 2023 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - November 2023

Check out the November 2023 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Community News

Fabric Community News unified experience

Read the latest Fabric Community announcements, including updates on Power BI, Synapse, Data Factory and Data Activator.

Power BI Fabric Summit Carousel

The largest Power BI and Fabric virtual conference

130+ sessions, 130+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI and Fabric. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors