Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Colleen
Helper I
Helper I

Personal Vs Enterprise Gateway

Hi all,

I need advice as to which gateway to use.

The requirments for the gateway is that it refreshes at least once a day, and ideally no user needs to be logged in for the gateway to operate.

Currently I am the only administrator, however I am hoping in the future others will have access too. All our data is stored on Sharepoint, there are no full time developers and most importantly it needs to be 100% reliable in its refreshes so that once it is set up, there will be no issues. 

Any advice would be fantastic as the docs look very meaty when I am trying to understand them.

Kind regards,

Colleen

EDIT:

It is also important to know we do not have a server yet, ideally the refresh wouldn't be locally on a single laptop however if we do not have a company server is there a (microsoft?) server we can connect to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Colleen ,

My suggestion is to use enterprise gateway.
1. The on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can run only as an application, so it needs user to be logged.
2. When you install gateway in personal mode, you can use it yourself only. So personal gateway cannot meet your need ---“ however I am hoping in the future others will have access too”.
3. You can connect it to local data sources such as SQL Server, Excel, and other data sources. However, the gateway installed as personal mode only supports one type of connection: Import data or schedule refresh (We will talk about these types of connections in very next few posts). Personal gateway is only used for Power BI, you cannot use it for other applications.

1-1.png

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pttigui
Regular Visitor

Hello, looking for similar questions I saw this post.

I setup a gateway but originally using the personnal mode. Now I want to create a second one but everytime it proposes the personnal mode only while I unistalled the app from my computer and deleted the existing gateway on PBI Service. Does any of you face a similar issue ? If yes, how did you fixed that ?

Thanks a lot for your support,

Guillaume

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Colleen ,

My suggestion is to use enterprise gateway.
1. The on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can run only as an application, so it needs user to be logged.
2. When you install gateway in personal mode, you can use it yourself only. So personal gateway cannot meet your need ---“ however I am hoping in the future others will have access too”.
3. You can connect it to local data sources such as SQL Server, Excel, and other data sources. However, the gateway installed as personal mode only supports one type of connection: Import data or schedule refresh (We will talk about these types of connections in very next few posts). Personal gateway is only used for Power BI, you cannot use it for other applications.

1-1.png

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Where I can dowload and test on-premises gateway, can u send documentation please

Thank you very much @v-eachen-msft , that's very helpful

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors