Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

JCK

Periodically converting external data to a standard format - is Power BI the right tool for the job?

Our business gets sent price lists from multiple suppliers - each in their own format. I am attempting to create an automated way to bring these price lists in a standard format. This will then get fed into our internal systems (accounting/stock keeping/ecommerce).

Providing each supplier sticks to their format, is Power BI the right tool to manipulate this data and spit out a required file(s) when it's sent? The file needed to be exported would be a CSV/Excel file. I would imagine each supplier would have their own profile. 

I have been trying to learn Power BI to figure out if it's correct, but I am not 100% sure it's the right tool. I am not sure I can save the "profile" and just apply it every time we get sent an updated price list file from the supplier. It seems more that it's constantly fetching data from a data source.

I'd really love any input on this. If Power BI is not the right tool, is there another one, or would I need to hire a developer to do the data manipulation?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @JCK,

Based on your description, I think power bi not fully suitable for your requirement. Power bi is a reporting tool which suitable for get data from different type of data sources and create visualizations.

In my opinion, I don't think it will be suitable to convert/transfer/encode different format records to standard format.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft

Thanks for your reply. Do you know of another tool which would suit my needs?

HI @JCK,

Maybe you can ask programmer to create a data convert/format interface to receive data and return formatted table.(most of programming languages all suitable for data convert)

After these steps, you only need to get data from that interface/api.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Sept PBI Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - September 2024

Check out the September 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

September Hackathon Carousel

Microsoft Fabric & AI Learning Hackathon

Learn from experts, get hands-on experience, and win awesome prizes.

Sept NL Carousel

Fabric Community Update - September 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.