Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

tiredMonk
Frequent Visitor

Percentage total as bubble size not working despite measure working in table - please help

Hi there 😊 I'm new to the Power BI community, so please forgive me if my etiquette is a bit off.

I am creating a report on population. I am using the scatter chart visual to create a bubble chart. On the x axis I have geography, and on y I have the population. Each bubble represents an age group, and I want to use a slicer to run through the date.

I want to have the bubble size to be determined by the percentage each age group contributes to the total for each region for each year. However, all bubbles are the same size, 100%. 

I tried many different approaches to calculate the % total; as I was trying to make it as clear and easy for myself as possible, I've done it in three measures. (Unnecessary, but I was trying to spell it out for myself). These are those measures:

##OBS_VALUE is the column name for observed population 
total = SUM(Population_LA_appended[OBS_VALUE])

bigtotal = CALCULATE(Population_LA_appended[total], ALL(Population_LA_appended[Age_group]))

% total = DIVIDE([total], [bigtotal], 0)

I still had the issue so I put in a matrix (shown below). In the matrix, the values are shown exactly how I want them on the bubble plot. But, as you can see, the bubbles are all the same size in the visual.

tiredMonk_0-1650979265767.png

I'm quite confused why this isn't working, but I think that is all information that is relevant. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you have. I'm happy to answer any questions you have, too. 

Thanks very much ☺

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, thanks so much for your reply!

The measure I've plotted in the matrix, '% total', was the same one that I have put into the Size field for the visualisation. 
I've now actually found out the issue I was having; the measure and the visualisation weren't the issue after all. I didn't realise that in the matrix I was using Age_Group from a different column to the one I was using in the bubble plot; the matrix was taking it from a Lookup column. Despite the Ages in both tables being related in the file, to do what I want I guess I need to use the Lookup column for the visualisation's legend and not the other table.

Thank you for responding, though! 😊 Take care

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tiredMonk , the measure you are using for bubble, you need plot in the table to matrix and check is working , mean value are different.

I am assuming you have a measure for size that has been used in a bubble as a size measure?

If this does not help
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply!

The measure I've plotted in the matrix, '% total', was the same one that I have put into the Size field for the visualisation. 
I've now actually found out the issue I was having; the measure and the visualisation weren't the issue after all. I didn't realise that in the matrix I was using Age_Group from a different column to the one I was using in the bubble plot; the matrix was taking it from a Lookup column. Despite the Ages in both tables being related in the file, to do what I want I guess I need to use the Lookup column for the visualisation's legend and not the other table.

Thank you for responding, though! 😊 Take care

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.