Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dkgibbs
Frequent Visitor

Pass Record URL from Dynamics 365 as Filtering Parameter in Embedded Power BI Report

I have a client that would like us to embed a power bi report onto the entity form in Dynamics 365 that displays data about that particular record. My immediate thought was that I could use the URL as a parameter because the GUID is listed in it.

For example:

The report is on the account main form in Dynamics. When the user selects an account record from their view, the form opens and they see their various fields, but they would also the power bi report now too. The report needs to filter the data in it to only display data for the record that the user is currently on. The url for the page would be sampleurl.crm.dynamics.com/main.aspx?appid=6a5511f3-aef1-e911-a812-000d3a579c97etc. The guid in the URL is 6a5511f3-aef1-e911-a812-000d3a579c97, and I want to be able to filter the report based on the guid that is in the URL without the end user needing to make any selections.

How do I go about doing this? I am not new to Power BI, but I have only recently begun to learn more advanced things. I am also open to other solutions on how to dynamically filter the report within the webpage that doesn't utilize the page URL.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
P0werUser
Regular Visitor

11 REPLIES 11
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Did you manage to resolve this issue?

I didn't see the response from P0werUser, but that did solove it! I'll mark it as the solution.

P0werUser
Regular Visitor

Contextualized filtering using XML and Dataverse soultions documentation here 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/model-driven-apps/embed-powerbi-report-in-system-...

Thank you so much!!!! I had to adapt this slightly to make it work, but this is EXACTLY what I needed!

martinbell

Did you ever work out how to do this.  i am trying to do similar

My apologies for a late response - I was out on maternity leave. No, I did not get it worked out unfortunately.

Hi, I have a similar requirement..Did you manage to figure out how to do it?

Thanks

dkgibbs
Frequent Visitor

No, I have not yet. I still would like to figure it out though.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dkgibbs ,

Creating a custom parameter is a good choice. You can use any attribute of the form to build a filter expression. The official document has related detailed introduction.

But you can also try other alternatives, such as below:

How to Embed a Power BI Report on Dynamics 365 CE Forms | Stoneridge Software

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-henryk-mstf

Thank you, but I do know how to embed the report into the form already. The problem that I am tryingt to solve is to have that report display only information that is relevant to the record that is currently up. In other words, I am trying to replace the user needing to select the account from a list of filters in the report and have the report filter the data for the user automatically. In my example pasted below, when the user opens the account, Fabrikam, Inc. in Dynamics, I want the embedded report to filter the data to only show data that is for Fabrikam, Inc. instead of showing data for all accounts or having the user select the account from a slicer.

dkgibbs_0-1630588580231.png

Meena
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have a similar requirement. Please share if you built a solution for this requirement.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.