Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pareto chart with tie values

Hello Community  -  

I have a data set where I am tracking the number of late lines, per product.   And doing a pareto of these items.   A number of items have the same amount of late lines.   Meaning, the order line the product was on shipped late.    So for example, in the chart below you can see that a number of different items have the same amount of late shipped lines...resulting in a flat line where the ties occur.     I guess my question is whether or not this is acceptable in the world of pareto charts?    Or should a pareto Always have the traditional curve to it?  

The conditional formatting (grey color) kicks in at the 80% value on the pareto blue line.  

pareto lines.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

It seems your data is not the same granularity as mine, I added a dimension table for the Products and repeated the fact table lines. Please the attached file. Created a new table and added new measures. Please check.

Fowmy_0-1624516237113.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I was able to reproduce your solution, but the data zeroed out (which has values >1 in other months) is showing up on the graph. I use filters for different months and periods (quarter and semester) to generate periodic reports, and I intend to use this same base. How can I hide them?

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Ideally, in a Pareto chart, each value should get added and that should be calculated as a % of the total. I think you need to look at your calculation to avoid getting similar percentages when they the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fowmy     Makes sense, but where you have repeated values, what I am getting is the same cumulative percent.   For example.   So you are saying I should have a different cumulative percent even if I have the same value for the late shipped lines?

# of late lines      cumulative percent 

6                              33.85%

7                              28.69%

7                              28.69%

@Anonymous 

When it comes to ties, you need to incorporate another column to break them, I did a sample file with Pareto using this technique. Please find attached the file below my signature. Product B and C have the same values but still adds up.

Fowmy_0-1624309688208.png

Pareto =
VAR __CurrentRank =
    RANKX (
        ALL ( Table1[Product] ),
        CALCULATE ( [Total Sales] + UNICODE ( MIN ( Table1[Product] ) ) / 1000 ), , ,
        DENSE
    )
VAR __Total =
    CALCULATE ( [Total Sales], ALLSELECTED () )
VAR __Cummulative =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ADDCOLUMNS (
                ALLSELECTED ( Table1[Product] ),
                "rank",
                    RANKX (
                        ALL ( Table1[Product] ),
                        CALCULATE ( [Total Sales] + UNICODE ( MIN ( Table1[Product] ) ) / 1000 ), ,,
                        DENSE
                    )
            ),
            [rank] <= __CurrentRank
        ),
        [Total Sales]
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( __Cummulative, __Total )

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just add that it seems wherever there is a tie, the pareto line dips down.   As seen here: 

tie  .jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy    I applied your measure, and my results are a bit sporadic.    Thank you for taking the time to help...just curious why I might be getting this erratic behavior.   Here is the measure I used.   Basically, your measure with my actual names included.  

Pareto =
VAR __CurrentRank =
RANKX (
ALL ( ShippedOrdersALL_Query[Item] ),
CALCULATE ( [Quick Ship Late Shipped Lines] + UNICODE ( MIN ( ShippedOrdersALL_Query[Item] ) ) / 1000 ), , ,
DENSE
)
VAR __Total =
CALCULATE ( [Quick Ship Late Shipped Lines], ALLSELECTED () )
VAR __Cummulative =
SUMX (
FILTER (
ADDCOLUMNS (
ALLSELECTED ( ShippedOrdersALL_Query[Item] ),
"rank",
RANKX (
ALL ( ShippedOrdersALL_Query[Item] ),
CALCULATE ( [Quick Ship Late Shipped Lines] + UNICODE ( MIN ( ShippedOrdersALL_Query[Item] ) ) / 1000 ), ,,
DENSE
)
),
[rank] <= __CurrentRank
),
[Quick Ship Late Shipped Lines]
)
RETURN
DIVIDE ( __Cummulative, __Total )

lines  .jpg

@Anonymous 

Can you share a PBIX file with the above chart and sample data? You can replace actual numbers with dummy numbers. 

Save the file in OneDrive or any other location and share the link.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy     I am not at liberty to share the file, but I think I've at least discovered a pattern around where the pareto line is dipping down.   I see that you are using Unicode in the measure and it is interesting that the "dips" on the line happen everywhere there is a similarity in the part number.   For example, the "44" below is a three way tie.   The first digit on the first "44" is a 7.    However, on the other two the part numbers both start with 713...and you can see the percentage is the same for both.    Likewise for the 43.   Both part numbers in this case begin with "C".     The measure works fine for ties where the part numbers do not have these similarities.    Perhaps changing the "unicode" to something different would help?   Just not sure how to go about this.  

pattern.jpg

@Anonymous 

I took just one letter in my product column that is the reason. I modified the measure and a new measure to rank the products:

ProductRank = 
VAR __currentproduct =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Product] )
RETURN
    DIVIDE (
        COUNTROWS (
            FILTER ( ALLSELECTED( Table1[Product] ), Table1[Product] <= __currentproduct )
        ),
    )

Pareto Measure:

Pareto = 
VAR __totalsales =
    CALCULATE ( [Total Sales], ALLSELECTED () )
VAR __Curretnrank =
    RANKX ( ALL ( Table1[Product] ), [Total Sales] + [ProductRank],, DESC )
RETURN
    DIVIDE (
        CALCULATE (
            [Total Sales],
            FILTER (
                ADDCOLUMNS (
                    ALLSELECTED ( Table1[Product] ),
                    "R", RANKX ( ALL ( Table1[Product] ), [Total Sales] + [ProductRank],, DESC )
                ),
                [R] <= __Curretnrank
            )
        ),
        __totalsales
    )

Fowmy_0-1624362195209.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Fowmy    Incorporating those latest measures, unfortunately still gives me strange results.   Below I have sorted the pareto percentages.  Normally, you would see this cumulatively increasing.  But take a look at the rows with "44".    One appears at the top, and two others with this same row count appear at the bottom.   The top one has an item number starting with 715 and the other two are 1024 and 1023.     It still seems that somehow the ranking is being affected by the numeric (or alphanumeric) values of the product.  

pareto by percent.jpg

@Anonymous 

If you can build a dummy simple two column table in Excel representing the similar product patter as per your original data and share, I will be able to check 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy      This would be representative of the data.   

ItemLines
787523B10
CA-76745
CA-76945
13457B19
12348B31

@Anonymous 

It works for me, 

Fowmy_0-1624386284350.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy     Thanks for your help.   I have done everything I can to try and get my pareto to work.   My formulas are exactly the same, except for I am doing a count of rows, versus a sum of sales.   No matter what, I still get pareto percent values that repeat.   I've got someone else looking at a solution and evaluating why my version is not working....will report back once I have that solution.    But your solution definitely worked in your file...just not sure why it is not working in mine, which I hope to have an answer for.  

@Anonymous 

It seems your data is not the same granularity as mine, I added a dimension table for the Products and repeated the fact table lines. Please the attached file. Created a new table and added new measures. Please check.

Fowmy_0-1624516237113.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.