Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Pages pane - any option in Desktop?

Hi,

This is kind of a cross between Desktop, Service and potentially Issues, but will post here in the first instance. After the new look was imposed within the service, in the absence of any global tenant option that I could see, I've had to go into every report in the service and turn on this option:

jthomson_0-1605616611804.png

Three simple reasons - our end users do not like change, our end users are used to Excel and seeing different bits of a report at the bottom as you would do separate worksheets within a workbook, and frankly the new pane takes up too much room on a screen.

I go to modify a report in Desktop this morning to add in a new data source, and publish it. Irritatingly, upon publishing, this pages pane option has switched back to the default of showing the pages pane when I had set it not to. Questions I have are:

a) Is there an option within Power BI Desktop anywhere that indicates how the report should be displayed within the Service that I'm missing?

b) Is there a global option within the Service to select whether the pages pane should be on or off?

c) Should the Service be changing the option like this when a new version of a report is published, or is this a bug?

It will clearly get extremely irritating very quickly if we need to change settings on a report every single time we make modifications to it, so I hope it's something I've overlooked, I just fear it isn't and it's like this by design

8 REPLIES 8
mpoeckl
Employee
Employee

If you are using the new Power BI Desktop project file format (PBIP - Power BI Desktop projects (PBIP) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn) you can add the setting

\"pagesPosition\":1“

to the report.json settings section.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello

The solution proposed by SreenivasB on 5/5/2023 works. I have already done this with several reports and it makes it easier for me to publish new versions of each report.

Salu2

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Excellent. As a workaround, it works.

Thank you

SreenivasB

Hi there is a very simple workaround solution for this that worked for me.

1. Publish your pbix file to service

2. Change "Page Pane" settings in serivce and save changes

3. Now download the pbix file from service and open in PowerBI desktop.

4. The pane setting will be the changed ones as in service

4. From here on just continue to use the new pbix file

I tried finding this, but it was not there.

the-ab
Regular Visitor

February 2023 checking in

MICROSOFT PLEASE. I'M USING ALL CAPS SO YOU KNOW IT'S SERIOUS.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I have the same concern, because every time a report is modified, you have to reconfigure Page Panel, so that it appears below as excel sheets.

I have not been able to find a solution. We are april 2022 and the problem continues

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I think Microsoft just forgot to remove that setting from the service 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.