Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Reply
LinVen
Helper I
Helper I

PBIX error on refresh - but no Errors in Query Error Table

Hello

So, I am building a PBIX to bring in a lot of data files from SharePoint. As the Data files, once collated, then have a lot of transformation, I have separated the "Source" into a query, so that if needed that location can be updated and then all subsequent queries will be corrected too. (So subsequent queries start with Source = #'File List')

The added bonus of this route is that I plan to be able to include a table of when certain files were last refreshed - a useful indicator of data quality. 

However, the Refresh does not like this little Query:

LinVen_0-1679911351147.png


But the automated Query Errors query gives me no errors:

LinVen_1-1679911418510.png



The File List Query is a relatively simple one:

let
Source = SharePoint.Files("https://SP SITE ADDRESS", [ApiVersion = 15]),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Text.EndsWith([Folder Path], "Resource Plans NE/")),
#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each not Text.Contains([Name], "TEMPLATE")),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows1",{"Content", "Name", "Date modified"}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"Name", "Date modified", "Content"})
in
#"Reordered Columns"

I am asking it to keep the Binary Column, as i need that to get tha actual data out on the subsequent queries:

LinVen_2-1679911599773.png



Can anyone tell me why this is upsetting the status Quo? (And yet it is succeeding in pulling in updated data into the subsequent queries?)



1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Everyone

The solution I have found, which seems to work for me, is to make the Source SharePoint address a Parameter:

LinVen_0-1679990112191.png

 

This can then be mnaged separately to the list of queries linked to it

I can then have my Table of Files, with Date Modified, "without" the Binary Column (which seemed to be the source of the errors, even though Power BI didnt really know what the error was)



View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
croberts21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Getting data from files on Sharepoint is difficult, comlex, and subject to bugs, which is why we minimize the files we store on Sharepoint. Avoiding files on Sharepoint is an important consideration for our design process. However you can try some of these steps:

Process 1

  1. Open you PBIX file in PBI Desktop that connects to files on Sharepoint. 
  2. Log off power BI. In the upper left of the PBI window click your name, then log out. 
  3. Close the PBIX file. 
  4. Open the PBIX file. 
  5. Log in to PBI Desktop again. 
  6. Try to do your refresh.

 

If that doesn't work try these steps.

Process 2

Go to app.powerbi.com. Sign in using your username. 

Find the data portion. Click the 3 dots, then settings.

croberts21_0-1679914284411.png

Go to Data Source Credentials area. 

croberts21_1-1679914331239.png

 

I think you can sign out of the Sharepoint Datasource. Then sign back in. I don't have access to Data Source Credentials but try that. 

 

Process 3

Go to the sharepoint site in your browser. Sign out of the site. Sign back in.

 

Hi Again

Sadly no improvement.  I have signed out, shut down, rebooted, signed in and re-refreshed as many ways as I can and I still have problems - new ones now...

LinVen_0-1679917462853.png



I could not faff with Credentials via app.powerbi.com as I have not yet published this report - that will wait till I am ready to roll it out



Hi Everyone

The solution I have found, which seems to work for me, is to make the Source SharePoint address a Parameter:

LinVen_0-1679990112191.png

 

This can then be mnaged separately to the list of queries linked to it

I can then have my Table of Files, with Date Modified, "without" the Binary Column (which seemed to be the source of the errors, even though Power BI didnt really know what the error was)



Hi croberts21

Thanks for the ideas, I will work through and see if I can resolve this. 

I completely agree. SharePoint is a pita and has made life a lot harder, but unfortunately that decision was out of my hands and now I must work with it... Wish me luck! 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.