Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mjc543
Advocate II
Advocate II

PBI Desktop slow to change number format for measures

Why does it take PBI Desktop upwards of 6 seconds to change the number format of a single measure? That's way too long, and makes formatting of reports excruciating. Is it because it also has to update all the visuals? Is there a way to set visual updates to manual? I find this aspect of PBI very frustrating almost to the point where I'd rather author my reports in Excel. I'm an intermediate PBI user and an expert Excel user... in Excel, a similar action done to a pivot table takes a fraction of a second. In addition, there's an option for pivot tables to "defer layout update" if you're having performance issues (which I have almost never had to use).

To make things worse, it seems that PBI Desktop can only make 1 adjustment to a number format at a time; e.g. change from 'General' to 'Percentage' ... wait 6 seconds ... THEN change number of decimals displayed (can't do both simultaneously) ... wait 6 more seconds ... move on to the next measure. It's crazy time-consuming when building out a medium to large report with dozens or hundreds of measures.

For reference: my report has 6 fact tables, each with as few as 1,000 or as many as 275,000 rows. I also have 9 dimensions with as few as 10 rows or as many as 17,000 rows. My model is set up as a star schema (no snowflake). The report itself has 26 tabs and upwards of 150 visuals and around 375 measures of varying complexity. Many of the measures are intermediate calculations that aren't explicitly used in the visuals.

Thanks,

MC

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't an answer but I do want to add a related item. 

I find this behavior in many places in Power BI Desktop.  For example, just to view the DAX of an existing measure or column or create brand new ones takes a similar amount of time (6+ seconds).  I can understand that once you actually commit the DAX you would see the dreaded "Working on it" spinner because it is actually trying to evaluate something.  But to perform simple functions that don't seem to have any computational overhead should happen in the blink of an eye.

lucky you it's only 6 seconds! for me it's more like 60 seconds each click

Hi @mjc543 ,

take a look at Part1, then everything will become clear to you and you will love the tabular editor.

https://powerbi.tips/2020/04/tabular-editor-rocks/

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.