Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rholohan
Regular Visitor

PBI Desktop and Website Sign-In Issues

Here is a step-by-step recreation of the issues I am facing with Power BI Desktop and webservice in signing in.

• Issue: Unable to publish project time data from Power BI Desktop to Power BI on the Web due to inability to sign in any longer.
  • Using Company email address which has worked in the past 6+ months.

Issues trying to Sign in when publishing from PBI Desktop using the forgot your password link

1.) After loading the PBI Desktop File, called TimeKeeper.pbix (478 KB), when I go to publish to the web, I click the Publish button (see below)

pbi1.jpg

2.) I then get this dialog box:

pbi2.jpg

3.) I enter my work email address that I have used since signing up for the PBI service:pbi3.jpg

4.)  I then click the Sign In button and get the following dialog box:

pbi4.png

5.) I then enter my PBI Desktop password and click the Sign In button:

pbi5.png

6.) I get the warning “We don’t recognize this user ID or password”:pbi6.png

7.) I click the link for Forgot your password below:pbi7.png

8.) I then get the following dialog box. I enter the characters in the picture and click the Next button:pbi8.png

9.) I then get the following dialog where it has a “loading spinner”, however it just hangs and never completes (I let it run overnight on 2/22/2017 and it was still spinning in the morning):

pbi9.png

Issues trying to Sign in when publishing from PBI Desktop using the Can’t Access Your Account link

I have also tried the following procedure as well.

10.) After loading the PBI Desktop File, called TimeKeeper.pbix (478 KB) When I go to publish to the web, I click the Publish button (see below):pbi10.png

11.) I then get this dialog box:pbi11.png

12.) I enter my work email address that I have used since signing up for the PBI service:pbi13.png

13.) I then click the Sign In button and get the following dialog box:pbi14.png

14.) I then enter my PBI Desktop password and click the Sign In button:pbi15.png

15.) I get the warning “We don’t recognize this user ID or password:pbi16.png

16.) This time I click the link for “Can’t access your Account”:pbi17.png

17.) I then get the following dialog box. I enter the characters in the picture and click the Next button:pbi18.png

18.) Again, I then get the same dialog where it has a “loading spinner”, however it still just hangs and never completes. 

I have also tried to sign-in at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/

19.) Finally, I have also tried to go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ and click the Sign In link at the top of the page:pbi19.png

20.) I then get the dialog box below, and I enter my work email and my password and check the “Keep me signed in” box.pbi20.png

21.) Once I click the Sign In button, I get the following dialog box, where I click the “Forgot your password?” link:pbi21.png

22.) I then get the following dialog box. I enter the characters in the picture and click the Next button:pbi22.png

23.) I then get the following dialog where it has a “The user ID you entered does not exist. Please check that you have typed your user ID correctly.pbi23.png

24.) This is the same work email that I have always used with Microsoft Power BI. Not sure why it is showing it doesn’t exist. I click cancel where I am taken back to the Sign In page where I click the link “Can’t access your account?”  It takes me through the same steps as above and indicates that my User ID doesn’t exist.

Unable to re-register my account

25.) I have also tried to re-registering my User ID/email by going to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ and clicking the link for “Sign up free”:

26.) I get the following options. I have tried both options. Removing and re-installing Power BI Desktop for windows doesn’t see to work.  I have also clicked the Sign Up button as shown below:

27.) I enter my work address in following dialog box and click the Sign Up arrow:

28.) I get the following notification:

29.) I then open up the sent email and click the “Yes, that’s me” button. I then am brought to the following webpage and I fill in my First and Last Name and enter a new password:

30.) I then get the following page that indicates that something went wrong:

31.) If I click the “OK, got it” arrow button, I am actually logged in to my work space, but without the latest data from the PBI Desktop, and I am still unable to sign in from the PBI Desktop with my work email address and new password. From here I am stuck!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi jbud - yes, I finally got this resolved.  I had to have my company's IT department create a different email alias for me to use as a Power BI login.  The alias forwards mail to my regular work email address for Power BI notifications, etc.  I haven't had any further issues after doing this.

Not sure how my account got messed up, but using an email alias seemed to fix it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@rholohan

Can you let your organization administrator check your Power BI license in the O365 admin center?

Reference:
Administering Power BI in your organization

Regards,

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your reply.  I will reach out to our admin again.  Currently my org is using Office 2010/2013, and I am unaware whether we have O365 licenses/support.  I am the only one right now publishing Power BI dashboards at our company, but will see if they can provide admin support on our end.

Thanks,

Ron 

I confirmed with our company's IT admin that we don't have an Office365 subscription or accounts.  They have indicated that they have no company onsite restrictions or logging for this app.  I am only using Power BI desktop as a standalone app and it has worked well for 6 months.  Unfortunately, we can't upgrade to Project Server for reporting purposes if we can resolve this.  MS Support has not been able to figure out why I can't log into their servers with my company email address anymore and apparently they are unable to reset my account for me.  Since personal email accounts don't work (eg. gmail), I may need to wait until my next company to use this tool.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is almost 3 months later... did you ever get a fix for your issue?  I am having pretty much the same issue except that my work email is also used for my TFS account and I get a message sometimes that Microsoft "Already knows me!" and to  "Enter my existing password" after clicking the "Sign In" button.  When I do this, I get put right back into the same loop you have with MS not recognizing my ID.  This is so frustrating!!  

Hi jbud - yes, I finally got this resolved.  I had to have my company's IT department create a different email alias for me to use as a Power BI login.  The alias forwards mail to my regular work email address for Power BI notifications, etc.  I haven't had any further issues after doing this.

Not sure how my account got messed up, but using an email alias seemed to fix it.

I confirmed with our company's IT admin that we don't have an Office365 subscription or accounts.  I am only using Power BI desktop as a standalone app and it has worked well for 6 months.  Unfortunately, we can't upgrade to Project Server for reporting purposes if we can resolve this.  MS Support has not been able to figure out why I can't log into their servers with my company email address anymore and apparently they are unable to reset my account for me.  Since personal email accounts don't work (eg. gmail), I may need to wait until my next company to use this tool.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.