Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Desktop / Unable to Change PBI Data Source SSAS Server Name

I have PBI Desktop Version: 2.41.4581.361 64-bit (January, 2016)

I have created few dashboards by connecting PBI desktop to SSAS Tabular Model (Live Connection)

Today, our system admin changed the IP address and server name where SSAS is deployed.

I connected to PBI desktop, opened the dashboard and as expected I got an error message indicating that the server name could not be found. Ok, I got another message that includes a [Cancel][Edit][Retry] buttons, however on top of this dialog there is another popup message that displays: "Working on it..." which prevents me from accessing the dialog with the buttons so as to change the data source connection information. This messages remains for ever!!

Any ideas how to resolve this issue and change the data source connection information (i.e. SSAS server name) for the dashboard??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Herbert,

The issue is not related to a specific machine but rather generic and I hope that it get addressed and solved by the BI team in a coming release...

The following workaround works:

* Create a dummy new report on PBI desktop connected to the new server. Save the report as DUMMY REPORT

* Open DUMMY REPORT in PBI Desktop

* Go to menu Open, and open the previously designed dashboard that was connected to the older server - Obviousy you will get the error that cannot open the report, but here you will get the dialog that contains the [Edit] button that allows you to change the server/database name. Change the server name and save the report

* Repeat the above 2 steps with the other dashboards...

Now all dashboards open correctly connected to the new server Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Herbert,

The issue is not related to a specific machine but rather generic and I hope that it get addressed and solved by the BI team in a coming release...

The following workaround works:

* Create a dummy new report on PBI desktop connected to the new server. Save the report as DUMMY REPORT

* Open DUMMY REPORT in PBI Desktop

* Go to menu Open, and open the previously designed dashboard that was connected to the older server - Obviousy you will get the error that cannot open the report, but here you will get the dialog that contains the [Edit] button that allows you to change the server/database name. Change the server name and save the report

* Repeat the above 2 steps with the other dashboards...

Now all dashboards open correctly connected to the new server Smiley Happy

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

If you cannot try the workaround,  I suggest you to create a support ticket in http://support.powerbi.com because it is machine specific.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Herbert,

This is what I have done previously!

Just to make sure, I totally uninstalled PBI Desktop, restarted the machine, then installed it again from the latest link (the link you sent).

When opening PBI Desktop, when I go Help>About, I am still seeing: Version: 2.41.4581.361 64-bit (January, 2016) !!

The strange thing is that I am able to see the newly added November features such as Heirachial Axes!!

Regarding the workaround you suggested of naming a dummy server with the old name, unfortunately this is not possible here for technical reasons and limitations beyond the discussion.

So we really need a solution to be able to change the server name for these dashboards...

Please advise.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

It is strange that your PBI Desktop version is 2.41.4581.361 64-bit (January, 2016). The version number is from November, 2016. Have you upgraded your PBI Desktop to the latest version which is available here?

If you still have the same issue after upgrade to the latest version. I think you can try to rename a server/client name to the original SSAS name. Not need to be a real SSAS server, we just need to let PBI can find this old server name in the network. If we can open the PBIX file properly in this way, then we can change the data source.

You can also try to install the latest version of PBI Desktop in another machine and try to open this PBIX file to see if issue persists.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.