Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeromec
Frequent Visitor

Odd Dimension Table Behavior

I am still relatively new to power bi, so i could very well be doing something wrong. I've broken my problem down to only include a couple of the dimension tables as this reproduces the behavior.   See screenshot below.

mode screenshot.png

I have a listings fact table and two dimension tables, one for locations and one for agents. A listing can live in multiple locations, that is a listing can be in a state and also in community or neighbourhood etc.. Similarly an agent can be involved in both sides of the transaction.  As such, I have a fact table in which there are multiple listings with the same listing_id, same agent_id but different locations id i.e. For simplicity I've excluded the fact that an agent can be on both sides. What problem is more basic as it relates to the location dimension.

Fact Table would contain (among other data) 

listing_id    listing_agent  Listing_location

x                 y                     1

x                 y                      2

etc...

filtered.png

The screenshot above shows the total number of listings, as I would expect, CV21122026 is repeated because it is in two locations. What's odd is that if I remove the name of the location from that table (name comes from location table), that table gets filtered and i only see one location not both? Yes, the count of listings in the card remains the same. I can't figure out why if I remove the location name from the table it filters and removes the "duplicate" listings, even though they aren't duplicated, in that they have the same listing_id but a different location?

Feels like I am asking an obvious question, but I wouldn't expect this behavior. If my only filter on the page is the agent, and the count is correct, why does it not show in the table?

Appreciate any insight.

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Jeromec 

For the count of listing_id, you can try the DISTINCTCOUNT function.

DISTINCTCOUNT function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I can use disintct count. This doesn't solve my problem. Essentially

if I do this:

Count Listings for Current Period = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(LISTINGS_FACT[LISTING_ID])) while there are 5 listings, the correct results is 3 because of the a listing in multiple locations, this is the expected result.

when I try to get a sumx with the distinct on listing_id, it always returns the rows with the duplicate location, it never seems to actually apply the distinct on listing_id.

Debug X = SUMX(LISTINGS_FACT,DISTINCT(LISTINGS_FACT[LISTING_ID]))   it would expect this to sum the 3 rows but instead it does the 5 rows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors