Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cookistador
Helper II
Helper II

Object reference not set to an instance of an object : Convert Date

Hello Everyone,

I'm facing a weird issue in Power BI Desktop,

I use import from SQL Server, it is an invoice table with some financial data and a few dates, I convert the date/time into date, but when I click on close and apply, the following error message appears:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

In the details, I can see the following M query:
shared Invoice = let
Source = Sql.Database("PROD_Data", "DW_Datamart", [Query=" SELECT [ActionDate],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[BillingOffice] AS 'Billing Office'#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[DefaultPayor] AS 'Default Payor',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[InvoiceDate] AS 'Invoice Date',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)REPLACE(CONVERT (CHAR(10), [InvoiceDate], 101),'/','') AS 'InvoiceDateID',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[DueDate] AS 'Invoice Due Date',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[InvoiceNumber] AS 'Invoice Number',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[InvoiceFirmFiscalYear],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[InvoiceFirmFiscalYearLabel],#(tab)#(tab)#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[InvoiceIndex],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[IsEbilled],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[IsPaid],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[IsRequireEbill],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[LeadMatter],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[NumberOfReceipts],#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[PaidDate] AS 'Paid Date',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[PaidMonthYear] AS 'Paid Month Year', #(tab)#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[PayorInvoiceCount] AS 'Payor Invoice Count',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[PostDate] AS 'Post Date',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[ReverseDate] AS 'Reverse Date',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[SendMonthYear] AS 'Send Month Year',#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)[SendingTimekeeper] AS 'Sending Timekeeper'#(lf)#(tab)#(tab)FROM [dbo].[VW_DimInvoice] #(lf)", CreateNavigationProperties=false]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Invoice Date", type date}, {"ActionDate", type date}, {"Invoice Due Date", type date}, {"Paid Date", type date}, {"Paid Month Year", type date}, {"Post Date", type date}, {"Reverse Date", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type";

Any idea of what is wrong?

Thank you for your help

2 REPLIES 2
JorgePinho
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

In the Power Query Editor go on View and select the option Column Quality. Check if any column has a percentage on "Error" 

JorgePinho_0-1663319682924.png

I believe it is a specific line or group of lines that Power BI is not being able to convert to date probably because date is in dd/mm/yyyy and your Power BI uses mm/dd/yyyy

Thank you for your reply, but it is not the case

I ticked column profiling based on entire data set and have the following result for the data quality

Cookistador_0-1663320605462.png

So apparently, there are no errors 😕

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.