Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Reply
Steve_A
Regular Visitor

OLE DB or ODBC error.

I'm trying to create report that brings together data from a range of our other reports. I'm trying to do this by using 'Get data' > 'Power BI datasets' and then picking the relevent table(s) from already published datasets. I've then created a master table with various grouping columns to allow the filtering needed for the final summary and am then using DAX expressions to bolt on the data needed from these already published datasets. On rare occasions this works, but 95% of the time I just get "OLE DB or ODBC error.". Usually this error gives some kind of detail to help troubleshoot but this is all I'm getting. Anyone got any ideas how to get around this?

 

Steve_A_0-1688463704819.png

 

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Steve_A ,

Please have a try.

  • One possible solution is to check the credentials for the data sources you are trying to access. If the credentials are not set up correctly, it can cause errors when trying to access the data.
  • You can also try refreshing the data sources to see if that resolves the issue.

 

I have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Solved: OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] - Microsoft Fabric Community

 

 

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

 

If it does not help, please provide more details .

 

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

 

 

Thanks for your response. I have already tried removing and re-entering credentials - it worked once but might just have been down to pure chance since it hasn't helped when trying that again (several times). I have also tried refreshing all the data sources but again not resolving the issue.

 

The solution in the thread linked was based on using lookupvalue instead of a merged table, not relevant to my situation but there are a few other suggestions in there that I will investigate further.

 

My current workaround has been to create a duplicate of the master table in each dataset being used and creating the DAX expressions there, then using relationships to link these tables to the master table. I can then use the grouping columns and filters from the master table in the visuals and bring in the columns/measures from the other datasets.

 

 

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors