Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tpmobley
Regular Visitor

OLE DB or ODBC Error

I have a data source that has been working fine until recently, when all of a sudden it gives me the following error when I refresh it:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataFormat.Error] Xml processing failed. Either the input is invalid or it isn't supported. (Internal error: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.). '.

Two things I don't understand with this error: 1) It shows me all the rows of data in Power Query Editor without a problem, but only gives the error when I click 'Close & Apply', 2) I am not sure what document it is referring to when it says "Line 1, position1". 

As far as the data source goes, I am using a 'Folder' input where all documents in that folder are XML files. Again, everything has worked fine for the longest time.

4 REPLIES 4
tpmobley
Regular Visitor

I removed all but one file in the folder and reran the data refresh, which then gave the real file location (not line 1, position 1). The problem is that mid-way through the XML file there is a block of 'NUL' that goes all the way to the end of the file. I'm just wondering if anyone know what may cause this?

tpmobley
Regular Visitor

I'm still looking for an answer to what the error message is referring to when it says "Line 1, position1". How do I identify the document, file, folder, etc. it is referencing?

tpmobley
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply, @truptis ...Part of the problem is... Line 1, position 1 of what? That's what's not making sense to me. The original XML files? The Advanced Editor in Power Query? It's complaining about a period '.' but I don't see what it's referring to. As to using XML instead of the Folder input, that's not feasible for my use case. I have hundreds of XML files, which is why I was using 'Folder' option instead.

truptis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @tpmobley,

From your error message, you may check if there is an invalid character in Line 1, position 1.

Otherwise you can try to connect to XML data source using XML connector.

@tpmobley -> please hit a thumbs up and mark it as a solution if it helps you. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.