Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sudharshan1919
Helper III
Helper III

Not able to connect with the windows service account

Hi All,

I have one requirement regarding Power BI Service. I have developed some reports and On Prem Database (My SQL Server) as a source( logged in with my Organisation Windows Service account) . It's working fine in PowerBI desktop.

Once I deployed  into powerBI service it's not connecting to the MySQL server .

I tried with install the gateway then Data Source Settings tab enabled. But while logging to connect to database from database settings of powerBI

It is having options like Authentication method and privacy levels dropdowns. Please suggest  which Authentication method ( Basic, WindowsWithoutImpersnation, OAuth2) and privacy levels ( None, Private, Public, Organisational ) I need to select. 

I am using my organisation email id to login into powerBI (Authentication method and privacy levels) And for the Sql database I am using windows service account.

Sudharshan1919_0-1640350717504.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sudharshan1919 i guess you need a powerbi on premises gateway to connect to your sql server from powerbi services. Once you have powerbi gateway installed, then you can gateway credentials to connect to sql server.

pl. go through this link for detailed instructions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial#connect-a-datase...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial

there is another way of connecting to your sql server using ODBC dsn. You create a odbc dsn and provide database credetails while configurating the DSN. You can then connect to your SQL server from powerbi desktop using this DSN and same will be available online. However, using this method your refresh will be through on personal gateway which will create dependecy on your personal laptop or computer. i hope this helps you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sudharshan1919,

According to your snapshots, it seems like the 'personal' mode gateway is not suitable for your scenario.
You may need to change to use the 'on-premise' mode gateway to setting schedule refresh of the on-premise data source. (notice: you need to confirm the device which you installed the gateway can be accessed to the on-premise data source that you used design report)

Reference links about config scheduler refresh and the data source types that gateway supported:

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sudharshan1919 i guess you need a powerbi on premises gateway to connect to your sql server from powerbi services. Once you have powerbi gateway installed, then you can gateway credentials to connect to sql server.

pl. go through this link for detailed instructions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial#connect-a-datase...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial

there is another way of connecting to your sql server using ODBC dsn. You create a odbc dsn and provide database credetails while configurating the DSN. You can then connect to your SQL server from powerbi desktop using this DSN and same will be available online. However, using this method your refresh will be through on personal gateway which will create dependecy on your personal laptop or computer. i hope this helps you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.