Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bchager6
Super User
Super User

No relationship between ReportName and SectionName within Usage Metrics data

Hi everyone...

I created an, "Analyze in Excel" connection to my Power BI workspace's Usage Metrics data. I have the new usage report turned on.

After pivoting on ReportName and SectionName to return the number of page views by report, I noticed there doesn't appear to be a relationship between those two items because I am seeing SectionNames aligned to the wrong reports.

Has anyone experienced the same and was able to resolve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@serpiva64 I found the following information within the Usage Metrics doc Microsoft published: Note that Excel PivotTables do not support drag-and-drop aggregation of numeric fields when connecting to a Power BI dataset.

I also read a few times throughout the doc that report views and page view are collected differently.

When I connect a Power BI report directly to the Usage Metrics data set though, the section names align with the report names, so I'm going to conclude that the misalignment is due to the Excel pivot table limitation noted.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bchager6
Super User
Super User

Here are the pivot table fields I'm using.

bchager6_0-1648833980262.png

Here's an example of how the report pages (SectionNames) don't align with ReportNames. Those sections do not belong to that report.

bchager6_1-1648834126264.png

serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi,

can you post some images in order to undestand better?

@serpiva64 I found the following information within the Usage Metrics doc Microsoft published: Note that Excel PivotTables do not support drag-and-drop aggregation of numeric fields when connecting to a Power BI dataset.

I also read a few times throughout the doc that report views and page view are collected differently.

When I connect a Power BI report directly to the Usage Metrics data set though, the section names align with the report names, so I'm going to conclude that the misalignment is due to the Excel pivot table limitation noted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.