Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Thigs
Helper III
Helper III

New to Paginated - Unable to Connect to Data Source

Hi all -

So, I've created a nice PBI report, published it, etc. I have a user who wants to export a large amount of data (Over 1 Million rows), so I was looking into paginated reports. I used the following link - 

Create a paginated report with a Power BI shared dataset - Power BI Report Builder - Power BI | Micr...

Things were going great, I had copied the query, but when I open the query designer to paste in my DAX, it says it could not connect to the data source. I am not finding any answers on what to do when this happens at this stage, I am only seeing this happen once it is published, which is not what I'm doing right now. 

Does anyone know what to do? I'm fairly sure I have build permissions - I'm the original creator of the report and have member status, I seem to be able to build an additional report in PBI service, but I am not an admin (my company IT department restricts Admin to only themselves). 

1 REPLY 1
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Thigs ,

What is your data source? Could you please provide a screenshot with the error. 

Paginated reports time out after 600 seconds when using Power BI DirectQuery dataset as a source. After 600 seconds, you receive this error:

"There was an error communicating with Analysis Services. Please verify that the data source is available and your credentials are correct. The connection either timed out or was lost."

For paginated reports running longer than 10 minutes, we recommend using the XMLA endpoint to connect to the Power BI dataset.

Please check.
Paginated reports in Power BI 

I have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Network drive - 'unable to connect to data source undefined' error 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.