Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Measures - Weekly Current Year, Weekly Last Year, YTD Weekly Current and YTD Weekly Last Year

Hi there,

I have a transaction list. It runs on daily basis. I have it summarized by week ending #. 

Something like this:

Ticket Number | Date | Amount | Week Ending #

It could have multiple transactions every day in the week. 

I am trying to create a few measures to capture:

Weekly Current Year Amount

Weekly Last Year Amount

YTD Weekly Current Year Amount

and YTD Weekly Last year Amount

I have tried a few coding... doesn't seem to work...

Please advise.

Jen

9 REPLIES 9
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you want to create the following four measures?

a8.PNG

Please give example data for all used tables.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Image 2.PNG

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe you can do like this:

Weekly Current Year Amount = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Sheet1[Amount]),
    FILTER(
        ALL(Sheet1),
        Sheet1[Year] = SELECTEDVALUE( Sheet1[Year]) && Sheet1[Week] = SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Week])
    )
)
Weekly Last Year Amount = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Sheet1[Amount]),
    FILTER(
        ALL(Sheet1),
        Sheet1[Year] = SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Year]) - 1 && Sheet1[Week] = SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Week])
    )
)
YTD Weekly Current Year Amount = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Sheet1[Amount]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED(Sheet1),
        Sheet1[Year] = SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Year]) && Sheet1[Week] <= SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Week]) 
    )
)
YTD Weekly Last year Amount = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Sheet1[Amount]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED(Sheet1),
        Sheet1[Year] = SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Year])-1 && Sheet1[Week] <= SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Week]) 
    )
)

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lionel,

Thank you for your suggestions. The YTD ones are giving me blanks. 

Jen

Hi @Anonymous ,

It may be caused by the difference in our data model. In addition, did you add the ALLSELECTED() function to your formula?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous there are tons of posts on time intelligence, did you searched and tried?

Here is a link to few:

https://radacad.com/basics-of-time-intelligence-in-dax-for-power-bi-year-to-date-quarter-to-date-month-to-date

https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/sql/bi/creating-time-intelligence-functions-in-dax/

I would 💖 Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are informative posts. 

My question is more on what to do with Weekly measures. The YTD, QTD or MTD work fine for me. Given WTD or week to date functions are not available in Power BI, I need further guidence.

Thank you

Jen

@Anonymous there are tons of resources on WTD as well, here is a link to one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPLm5BHl2c

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank. I think that I asked the question the wrong way. 

Tonnes Last Year Tonnes This YearTonnes Last Year CumulativeTonnes This Year Cumulative
Week 1250238250238
Week 2300526550764
Week 3125114675878
Week 438253810571416
Week 540541014621826
Week 650823519702061
Week 713723321072294

I am trying to create measure for the cumulative columes. 

I have following ...

Tonnes 2020 cumulative = TotalYTD(sum('data table'[Tonnes]),'data table'[date],if('data table'[Year]=2020,2020,0))

It's returning weekly numbers by the week. Not YTD culmulative. 

Appreciate your help as always.

Jen

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.