Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

VEOMBOTEST
Regular Visitor

Need help to understand How Power BI works to refresh data

Hi all,

I have 2 questions please:

1. I have a Power BI report based on a data set with Import query mode.

Is it possible to change the refresh mode to be on Direct query?

If yes, then how?

2. I have a very big dataset (Import query mode)

When I refresh it, it genrates an error message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Memory error: Allocation failure: Pagination file is insufficient to end this operation...

Many thanks,

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @VEOMBOTEST,

I have a Power BI report based on a data set with Import query mode.

Is it possible to change the refresh mode to be on Direct query?

If yes, then how?

From this documentit's generally possible to switch a model from DirectQuery mode to use import mode, this means all the necessary data must be imported. It is also not possible to switch back (primarily due to the set of features not supported in DirectQuery mode). Here is an idea for you to upvote. However, you could take a look at this workaround to change data source connection from Import to Direct Query.

I have a very big dataset (Import query mode)

When I refresh it, it genrates an error message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Memory error: Allocation failure: Pagination file is insufficient to end this operation... 

This error is much related to your larget dataset loaded into Power BI deskrop. You could refer to this thread for some memery tips.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors