Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BaldAccountant
Advocate I
Advocate I

Multiple months in line chart using play axis

I would like to have a line chart where the date changes using play axis and the graph shows multiple months at the same time.

For example if the play axis was June 2022 it would show the June 2022 and the last previous 5 months also.

3 REPLIES 3
v-weiyan1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BaldAccountant ,

According to your description and the results of my tests, it may not be possible to achieve the effect you want if you use the play axis in this way.

Regarding the play axis feature you mentioned, it indeed has some limitations, primarily because it requires dynamic fields to drive changes in the time interval. Unfortunately, Data fields placed in the play axis are constant after they are created and cannot be changed.

However, you can use a slicer as an effective alternative to manually control the time interval of a visual.

If you believe that the play axis feature should include more flexibility and dynamism in future versions, we encourage you to provide feedback to the developer of this custom visual.

You can find out how to contact him in the image below.

vweiyan1msft_0-1702640383993.png

Best Regards,

Yulia Yan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @BaldAccountant 
You need a slicer for the period that you want to show.
My example has a slicer for years :

Ritaf1983_0-1701747439569.png

and on the play axis visual you should put the same field as on the line chart:

Ritaf1983_1-1701747617827.png

and if you need it to run from the last point, you should sort it in descending order

Ritaf1983_2-1701747747584.png

PBIX is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks for the info, but that is not what I was actually trying to achieve.  I want the play axis to show for example Jan - Dec 2022, then Feb 2022 - Jan 2023, then March 2022 - Feb 2023.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.