Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

neilcotton
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Date Formats on one field, depending on date, but only on PowerBI.com

Good afternoon BI-ers.

I have a very, unfathomly weird issue, whereby when viewing a report in PowerBI.com, depending on the actual date, the date is changing formats.

All my dates are stored and displayed in dd/mm/yyyy format. In PowerBI Desktop there is NO issue. However when I publish this to the web, if the DD portion of the date is less than 12, it assumes that it is the Month. Therefore 1st of June, in the desktop is 01/06/2022, but on the web, it is shown as 06/01/2022. The weird thing is, that it's not just formating all the dates in mm/dd/yyyy, only ones with the DD portion less than 12. In the same field, in the previous record, the 31st May is showing correctly as 31/05/2022 in both Desktop AND web.

The dates in the datasource are formated as dates in the correct format, and then force again in PBI into the dd/mm/yyyy

What makes things even weirder, I added the column again, but the second field I added as heirarchy, so it shows the day, month and year in seperate columns, the original column shows all the dates correctly again.

I've attached a storyboard below showing the issue, side by side comparison of Web vs Desktop.

Please help, it's driving me bonkers! 😕

Neil

OnlineDueDateFormatIssue.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @neilcotton ,

According to your description, I sugget you recheck these two settings:

In the Power BI Service, under Settings > Language, set it to Default (browser language).

vkalyjmsft_0-1657696837143.png

Then, in the browser language setting, checked the "Display Google Chrome/Edge in this language."

vkalyjmsft_1-1657697215998.png

Here're related document for reference: 
Manage Date Formats in the Power BI Service

Date format changing desktop to web - Microsoft Power BI Community .

How to change the date Format in the Power BI Service | NFORM | Perth, Australia

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please considerAccept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft 

I have tried this in both the default (as suggested), and hard set to English, but it's the same. The extra off thing is that the Invoice Date colunm, which is formatted in exactly the same way, at source, in SQL, in BI, shows correctly.

Regards

Neil

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@neilcotton Check the language settings of your browser. It may be set to something like US or something like that.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler , thank for the reply. However, I've been through and checked my time / date / region / language settings absolutely everywhere (Edge get's its settings from Windows). Including my O365 Profile/BI account, and everything is set to UK.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.